Installing Drywall In Wet Locations

1. Miriam
    October 14, 2012

My husband and I were originally going to install a shower kit, but have since changed our minds and want to do a tile shower.
    The thing is, we've already installed, mudded and sanded the green board drywall...is there nothing we can do (like cover it with something) or are we going to have to rip it out (where the shower will be) and install a waterproof wall material?
    Thanks so much!

Miriam, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

• Joe
      November 15, 2015

You people should do some FREE research yourselves. You all sound so incapable. For WET areas such as tubs and showers...USE CEMENT BOARD.

2. Sara
    June 28, 2014

I have the exact same question as her so you could call me as well? Lol. I'm terrified they have me the wrong answer.

Yes, I can call you. Go purchase one of my 15-Minute Phone consults.

3. Dan Lorenzo

Our condo apartment is adjacent to a common laundry room and four times in the last four years it has flooded due to a faulty washing machine. They will not fix the breach in the wall so how and what products can I use to stop the water from penetrating the wall into my unit. I have had to tear up the padding and carpet and am afraid to replace it with anything until I can figure out a way to seal up the concrete.

4. Carrie Powell
    November 16, 2014

How do i purchase 15 min. Consult.??? Thanks you in advance.

5. nikita tovstoles
    December 17, 2014

Thanks for the article. Since green board is not suitable, what *would* you use behind a glue-on acrylic tub surround? thanks, -nikita

December 17, 2014

Cement board or Dens-Shield.

6. ROBERT GOODRICH

I have to do an inexpensive tube job. What backing would you use in tub area, to go under sheets of FRP and glue

7. RobertMatheka

What a great article you have introduced with us. Really inspiring. It is commonly the result of roofing and plumbing leaks. When walls are wet but haven’t been that way for more than a day, your best bet for reducing water damage is to allow air in from outside. Air circulation will help to make your walls dry faster than they would on their own.Thanks for great job .

8. Dina
    October 28, 2015

Since you do not recommend green board for the shower area, what material do you use before you tile this area?

November 15, 2015

Dina,

Use the search engine on this page and type in:

cement board

9. Wendy
    November 20, 2015

Hi Tim,

My husband wants to use the greenboard product in our bedroom. Not because of moisture issues but just because. My question is....is it a safe product to use regarding health wise? What is it treated with to be mold resistant? Would one use it for entire home construction if they wanted to....cost not being an issue?

10. Tom
    February 18, 2016

I have a good question. I have a very big bathroom. Do I have to put the mold resistent drywall in the whole bathroom including ceiling or can I put it only where water might come in contact like the sink toliet and shower area.

11. Richard Pomper

I have built a seasonal home on the Sunshine Coast,is green board a good product for my interior wall finishing ,considering the moisture content in the Winter,when there is no heat.

12. paulina

hello!!
    we are building a home and the builders would like for us to put tile in ceiling not yo get the dryeall damaged, since we are putting glass walls all the way up. I really dont see why this could be a problem since I have seen a million pictures without the ceiling tile and glass walls all the way to the top! what is yoir opinion on this?