Land Clearing

1. Mark Ingersoll

I like your approach and would add advice to preserve as many of the trees as possible. The trees not only add value but they also provide shade and good protection from high winds. Additionally, remember your land has most probably been home to all kinds of critters. Share.You will probably come to appreciate their habits.

I was fortunate to find a small piece of land out in the sticks that had never been used for agriculture and therefore never had any chemicals applied to foster better crops. That said, my trees are a source of pride and beauty - and I refuse to even apply fertilizers as any runoff goes directly to the stream at the back of the property.

For the trees at the back of my property - I let mother nature do her magic. If one falls across a path, I'll use my small tractor to push it out of the way. Elsewise - it all stays without human interference. For those trees near and around my house, I keep the fallen limbs cleared out to reduce fire risk. I usually send the dead limbs through a shredder so that the nutrients are returned to the soil.

To date, I have cut down only 4 trees. All were near the house. One was dead and the other 3 were leaning towards the house.And for every one I cut down - I planted a new one elsewhere.

As for heavy equipment - if you have no experience with heavy equipment - leave it to the experts. These machines have incredible power - and not knowing how to re-actively recover from an event-gone-wrong... usually only gets worse. Humans are to falling trees as insects are to humans - small, quite fragile - and not much of a match. Heck, we don't even have stingers!

2. cynthia.hobart
    March 18, 2014

I am retiring soon and I would like to build a house on my own land but, there's lots of trees in my land and I don't know how to or have it harvest and to whome. Between Pensacola and Lillian alabama. Please advice. cynthia

March 19, 2014

Cynthia,

You should order one of my 15-Minute Consults. Lots and lots to talk about. Too much to type here.

• Howard Reed

Cynthia, my uncle had the same problem of not knowing what to do with the trees on a property that he had bought a few years ago. He had some friends in the area who had some larger equipment, and were telling him about tree shears on tractors that can clear small to medium trees pretty fast. I don't know what he decided to do, but that could be an option.

3. 826le

My advice, Get a good pair of gloves, not gardening gloves, but leather work gloves. Next would be an axe with fiberglass handle and a branch lopper(pruning loppers). This will get 99% of the job done by hand.

4. Brian

Great article! Thanks for all the good info. I will be clearing land for a home and road.

5. randybradford

Tim, I never knew how important it was to check with your local government before doing any sort of land clearing. This seems like it would be good information to remember before starting a project. Being able to be cleared by local official sounds like it could help you feel more confident in what you are doing.