Low Shower Head Water Pressure

1. Victoria Abdus-Salaam

I had my bathroom remodeled. I now have a handheld shower head and a fixed shower head in the same shower. The pressure in the handheld shower head is fine but the fixed shower head's water pressure is low. I am not happy. Did the contractor do something wrong? Can the problem be fixed? Prior to having my bathroom remodeled the water pressure in the shower was fine.

Victoria,

You're here at the right place at this column. Just read it again and follow the advice. I'm sure you have to take apart the shower head.

2. Reg Strong

Installing a new bath faucet (Pfister one handle,same as I already had) made shower lose terrible pressure, which was fine before. I removed shower head, soaked it and the filter in vinegar for 3 hrs.,scrubbed it with brush and it's still the same. Restrictor was removed when I first bought it and shower was fine until now.
    I'm at my wits end, because I love my showers.
    Plumber did flush the pipe before replacing shower head, so that's ruled out.
    Help. Thank you.

3. Christine
    November 17, 2014

Hi Tim, the water pressure is low in our shower head and tub but the rest of the house is fine. Also, the problem is only intermittent. We took apart th shower head and cleaned it. But no change. It happens once or twice a day and no other appliances are on at these times. Any ideas?

November 18, 2014

What about installing a new cartridge in the valve? Maybe you have sediment that's blocking water flow inside the valve. What's the water flow like when you have the shower head off and just the neck arm there?

4. Justin
    December 28, 2014

Just get rid of all the flow restrictors, they are annoying full stop.

5. Jeff Roberson
    February 26, 2015

My shower has good pressurensometimes and sometimes not, I can turn it on and off back and forth and itnwill be strong, I recently changed the diverter valve, the water pressure out the spout in the tube is great and probably more than it should be. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

6. Gloria

All of a sudden the water pressure for the hot water is extremely low to the point that it trickles in all faucets including the shower. The cold water is fine. What do we do?

There is a blockage in the cold water side of the cartridge. Clean it out.

7. Erica

Hi Tim,
    I'm having water pressure issues in both the bath faucet and the shower head, though pressure in the adjacent sink and elsewhere in the house is fine. I'm thinking mineral build up, as my hot water tank also makes a weird vibratey/rattle noise like a drill sometimes. Any suggestions or advice?

8. Brenda

Hi Tim, after changing diverter valve in compression style tub to shower my shower head water pressure is only fair. Water pressure to tub spout is fine. Any ideas? Thanks

9. Jeff Miles
    June 22, 2015

Hi Tim,

Our shower in our guest house has terrible water pressure. We bought the house last year & it is a new build. I changed the shower head. We also had a plumber replace the regulator but it is still terrible. The other faucets seem fine. Any advice?

10. Nat
    December 19, 2015

Thank you so much!!! Took 15 seconds and has made a massive difference!

11. josh

First stepp worked fine for me cheers

12. Pam Callahan
    February 3, 2016

I have barely a trickle of water from my shower pipe neck. I already removed the shower head and even made the mistake of taking off the faucet handle with the faucet on. Plenty of pressure there, Also no other fixtures-2 sinks and 1 tub are having any low flow problems. Any ideas??

13. Scott
    February 5, 2016

If/then assumes that the showerhead is the culprit. What if it's not?

Here's the scenario. We installed and ran new line direct from the water source to the newly installed shower stall. Brand new valve-set (simple 2-knob set from Lowes). Brand new basic showerhead.
    Terrible flow.
    Take off the showerhead, still terrible flow.
    Disconnect source from the valve-set, AWESOME flow, pointed at a 5-gal bucket, it flows so fast it splashes out of the 5-gallon bucket.
    The sink right next to the shower flows so hard it's like the above bucket...it splashes out of the sink.

Thoughts?
    Thanks!

• Coulinjo
      March 10, 2016

Are you in America? I don't know what a valve-set is, but am having same shower problems (onset about two weeks ago) as you. We have instantaneous hot water heater too, so what trickle is coming out is freezing cold. When I take off the shower head, the cold water pressure is fine, but hot water pitiful. We're in a rental in Australia that owner won't fix, and winter is coming on.

14. john
    March 9, 2016

My shower is fine when cold... ...but after about 3 mins the flow becomes much weaker. What could the cause be?

15. Danelle
    March 12, 2016

Hello,

I have the same problem with low water pressure, but when I went to remove the shower head it looks like there is some caulking on the threading. Is it still ok to remove the shower head? Thank you.

V/R,
    Danelle

16. Chris

You were spot on, sediment from the line had clogged the flow restrictor screen in the shower pipe and once removed and cleaned, the water pressure not only returned but was better than before. Thanks so much for the help!!!

17. Gerald Feist
    October 24, 2016

Hi good info and I love the quiz, keep me on your list Thanks Gerald Feist Rock Creek BC.ca

18. Paula Lee
    November 26, 2016

Thank you so very much for this information. I have looked at several different sites and got the same unhelpful info until this one, this was exactly the problem and now I have great water pressure. Thank you again