Matching Mortar

1. martin allpress
    March 1, 2014

Do a fair bit of repointing, but can never get a match, seems very few sand types and nearly all cement is grey it stands out so bad,can you help

March 2, 2014

Yes!!!! Look CLOSELY at the existing mortar. Really pay attention to sand colors. I GUARANTEE you the local sand suppliers will have the same or very similar sand because the ROCK that's supplying the sand upriver or in the pit is still there. You'll run into issues if the sand came from a pit that's now exhausted and no longer in use. That can happen with limited glacial deposits. Yes, I'm a college-trained geologist. 🙂

Once you find the right sand use a mortar heavy with lime. Realize OLD mortars in the UK did NOT have any Portland cement in them - just LIME. After the mortar has cured for 60 days, then do a LIGHT acid wash to REMOVE the lime paste from the sand particles. You do that and believe me the tuck pointing will almost perfectly match. I'd LOVE to see you send me photos of this. Would you do that? Take BEFORE, DURING and AFTER photos.

2. k
    June 27, 2014

Geez -- this is completely plagiarized from the Chicago Tribune (March 1997)

DUH.... I'm the author.... Why don't people ever read the author of a column? Busy busy.....

3. k
    June 27, 2014

Oh wait! You wrote that article for the Chicago paper!!!