Natural Wood Siding Needs TLC

1. Mary Robinson

Currently have half log cedar siding that has a severe mold problem.
    Previously oil based stain (Flood brand-cheap) Mold removal going well using oxygen bleach. do we have to remove all the old oil based stain before re-covering with synthetic based stain? if so, how?

Mary, to do this job right, not over, you should really read my Cleaning and Sealing Your Deck ebook. It's the same process for cleaning siding and fences.

2. Kevin Thompson

I would be interested in ordering your Stain Solver product, but I see you don't ship to Alaska. You ship to Canada but not Alaska. What's the difference? I imagine there are far lower costs (not to mention customs hassles) shipping to Alaska compared to, say, northwestern Canada.

Please reconsider your shipping policy.
    Thanks for your timie.

Kevin

Kevin,

UPS only ships by air to Alaska. It's illegal for me to put Stain Solver on a plane because it's such a powerful cleaner.

I'm trying to locate an Alaskan distributor.

• Sally

I'm another buyer in Alaska if you can find a distributor.

Be SURE you subscribe to my newsletter. When I find an Alaska distributor, that's where it will be announced.

3. Scott

Apologies for my previous note. (Please don't post) You hit a nerve with that one sentence re. buying the highest priced product. Yet I've since spend an hour discovering your very helpful web site.... and I'm learning ing a lot. thank you.

4. Highly frustrated

I was just about sold on going out and buying some oxygen bleach, and was so impressed with all it's wonders as posted in your article...until, I saw this... "I decided to create my own special blend using ingredients made in the USA. In fact, the raw materials in the active ingredient are food-grade quality registered with the FDA. I call my product Stain Solver. I urge you to use it to help with your wood siding cleaning. You will be amazed at the results!". And then there it was...Can anyone say BIAS! Geez man, no wonder you talk about not using this and that and that only "Oxygenated Bleach" will work the wonders and miracles that we are all looking for. Disappointed man.

Dear Mr. Disappointment:

Here are a list of questions you should answer:

So would you rather I not be transparent?

Do you own any Apple products?

Are you 'disappointed' in Steve Jobs because he felt he had a better idea and wanted to SELL a quality product rather than go the Bill Gates route?

Do you own a PC? Does it run Windows software?

Are you 'disappointed' in Bill Gates because he started a company selling software you use?

Should I keep listing GREAT PRODUCTS that are sold by entrepreneurs like me that you probably use every day?

I'm a PROFESSIONAL WRITER. Bias is when you SPIN a STORY and you're NOT TRANSPARENT about what your PERSONAL feelings are about the topic.

There's no bias in the above article. What you're upset about is the refreshing TRANSPARENCY that you rarely see in today's world - especially in any mainstream media news.

• Brian Weeden

Dear "Disappointed man", AKA "Highly frustrated":
      (1)I know sending out a free newsletter sounds incredibly lucrative, but trust the rest of us when we tell you Tim still needs a "day job"! (2) May we infer you've spent the last 20 years in Antarctica, since you've never heard of "Oxygenated Bleach" until now? Billy Mays would be sooo disappointed! (3) While you've been selectively browsing the newsletter, the rest of us have noticed that Tim recommends around 50 other products for every time he promotes 1 of his own. (4) Have you, seriously & without BIAS, done some looking around Tim's FREE website? Nearly every article & video attests to his openness & integrity! And the humor is also FREE! (5) Should you feel so "put upon" as to require your unsubscription, know that I & a plethora of other bargain-hunters will continue to absorb FREE information from Tim for as long as he's able!

5. Bob

Tim, you are right on! Mr. Disappointed is experiencing the OPPOSITE of bias. If you recommended Stain Solver WITHOUT mentioning that it was your product, that would be problematic. I know from experience that Stain Solver is a great product. My wife and I both use it for a variety of cleaning tasks.

6. Dean Hardister

I've used Stain Solver to clean tile grout. After a previous experience using a chlorine-based bleach, I found Stain Solver to be a great product. It was far easier to use, cleaned much, much better, had no odor, and didn't burn my skin. I've found that when you recommend a product, whether it's something you sell, or something somebody else sells, I can be assured that it will do what you say. I appreciate all the work you do in helping your readers with their home problems.

7. Chris White

Tim,
    Is your Stain Solver available in New Zealand ? I really hope so,

Best, Chris.

8. Bill

Dear Tim and "Highly frustrated",
    I have been using Tim'sStain Solver for years. First was a white asphalt composition roof that was black with algae. Everyone, particularly roofers claimed it needed replacement. After cleaning per Tim's instructions, it looked not new but normal for its age and was good for several more years of service. We since have used it on decks, siding, laundry for normal bleaching and stains, white commercial type kitchen cutting boards, slippery stone steps and walks and lots of other things I can't think of right now.

When I was doing that first roof, I called Tim's office to ask about cleaning a dirty concrete driveway at the same house. The lady with whom I spoke told me to use Dawn detergent for that particular application. She could as easily have told me to go ahead and use more of their product.

I'm delighted with Stain Solver and recommended it to many friends.

Thanks, Tim, for a fine product and all the great free advice you give.

9. Bill

What I really came here for is advice about my house over here near the "left coast" of New England where taxation makes D-I-Y a necessity as well as being an avocation for many of us. We're still here even though you admonished us to move to your side of the Connecticut some years ago.

We have a 36 year old house with unfinished rough sawn Atlantic white cedar clapboards that range from light gray to dark gray to various shades of brown. Some must be replaced so there will be be dry-stored 30+ year old too and, if necessary, some new clapboards and flat trim as well. I want to apply a solid stain of light to medium hue and want to do it right. I need to know what the best product that provides custom coloring as well as durability. Also what do you recommend in the way of prep and optimum moisture reading for the wood before applying stain. Do we need primer. Thank you.

Bill

10. Tom

Tim,
    Thanks for the very informative website. Hope you are still active and can answer my question.

We have 12 year old natural cypress shiplap siding and originally stained it with Cabots Bleach Oil . The color has gradually turned too light and we are looking for a good weathered grey stain that can be sprayed on.

One area has been exposed to soil splashing up and has either imbedded dirt or the reddish soil has stained the wood along the bottom. We are going to use OxyBleach to clean this area before re-staining. Should we OxyBleach all the cypress even that that does not seem dirty before re-staining?

Any advise on which stain to use?

Thanks,
    Tom

11. James
    October 22, 2016

Curious abut your thoughts on the product Alaskan One Time stain for loghomes just add water to a powder form