Night Stand Makeover

1. Brenda Taylor

I'm sorry but this doesn't look like it's been remodeled
    But remade. I hope all of the "remodeled" furniture isn't this complexed

• Joy Davis

Brenda,
      A person can make a project as complex as they wish. this old night stand was given to me years ago. I decided I should either do something with it or throw it away. I spent hours sitting and staring at it. I drew pictures of it. It was my first remodel. I took it to my tiny make shift work shop on my back porch. I was scared ( what if I mess up? I thought) Then I realized that it was junk anyway so if I ruined it, no big deal.

I took it apart. Now I do not know exactly what the difference is between remodel and rebuild. Is there a certain number of nails that can be removed before it is called a rebuild instead of a remodel? Anyway I said in my description that I took it apart, which I did completely. However I did not change the size at all.

I used the left side panel for the new right end and I left out the old door and the shelf that had been inside. I did not even try to straighten out the crookedly cut base. I just put it back together like it had been except I did not put a left side on it which totally changes the appearance as the left side was now the front.

2. Mike Kelly

These pictures are not of the same piece of furniture.

Yes they are. Look again.

• Joy Davis

Mike Kelly, I do not know if furniture is even an accurate description for what the night stand was before I did the make over. It was just a piece of junk that we had used beside the bed to hold the lamp up off the floor.

I save everything. so I saved pieces of stuff from my kitchen remodel. When I decided to try to make over the night stand I used the left over kitchen stuff to decorate the night stand after I put it back together. I cold have left off the scalloped decoration off the top. I could have left the shelf inside and not added the drawer. But I just decided to try it. The drawer was out of an a little old desk that was long gone. I do not even know why I saved the drawer, but it was just the right width.

This project was a huge amount of work to "save" a piece of junk. but what I learned and the praise from my husband and others is worth it. The fact is that I would have to pay a lot for a piece of furniture that looks like the final product. I saved money that would have had to come from our budget, I used left over junk that most people would have thrown away and I learned a lot.

3. Mike

Hi Tim,
    I'm having a major problem viewing your postings and your links on my I pad. Is there something I have to do to correct this. It seems that all the advertisements take over the page.
    Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks Mike

Well, do you have the same problem looking at different pages on my site?

Go above and click the center Q & A icon. You'll get a listing of other columns. Click through and look at several.

Sometimes columns that don't have lots of words get weighted with too many ads.

The ads SUPPORT this site and allow me to give you the content for FREE. I'm hoping that you can tolerate that since it costs you nothing to get all my information.