Old Water Pipes Must Go

1. C.K Ward
    December 6, 2012

We've just moved into an 80 yr old house in Detroit MI, and had to have pipes put in because someone had taken the copper pipes that were already in there. Because copper pipes were too pricey to have put in, we went with PEX piping. We haven't had any problems with them however I noticed that the plumbers had attached the PEX pipes to 2 galvanized pipes running along the ceiling. My question is do we need to replace those 2 galvanized pipes. The water taste good, there's no rust but We have small kids. Thanks

C.K., your question(s) require lots of typing and I have some questions for you. You should consider investing in a 15-Minute Consult with me. Look at my cart for that. Lot's to discuss. I just do short pithy answers here.

2. anne

Hello I am also in the situation of having older galvanized pipes in the partial finished basement. The house was built in 1930 but ahs had several owners and various upgrades-Im concerned about the pipes rusting that they could cause a leak-We don't have the $ to fix today-and was hoping to way 1-2 years but am concerned if I wait and they leak I will be kicking myself later. I guess my question is how do you know how "urgent" it is to replace the galvanized pipes?

3. Bryan harrison
    February 15, 2015

Hi I was wondering how long do galvanized pipes last? My home was built in 1954. The pipes inside were all replaced but the pipe coming in to the house is galvanized. I received a letter to take insurance incase it leaks. Is that a good investment? Thanks Bryan

• MKB

I have the very same question as Bryan, except that my house was built in 1931. Seems like replacing the line from the street to the house will be disruptive and costly....

4. Howard Reed
    February 2, 2016

Tim, thanks for the estimate in figuring out how much it might cost for the copper piping. Although the pipes themselves might not cost as much as people think., I am wondering if the time and effort it would take to replace all the old piping would be too much for the weekend builder. How much would a professional plumber charge for such a service? And could it possibly offset the cost of doing everything yourself?