Perfect Wood Stains on Soft Wood

1. Tim Carter

Darren,

Lots to discuss. Many steps. You need my 15-Minute Phone Call

2. jean reynolds

Hi, I have a sanded 2x3 island top made of aspen wood, unfinished. I want to put a sealer on it, no stain, something to keep drinks or food from being absorbed. It will not be used as a cutting board. What product to you recommend, and any tips on technique will be appreciated!
    Thank you, Jean

Jean, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me.

3. jerry ross

Have a log home in NW lower Mi.16"-18" dia.Red Pine stained 8 yrs.ago,needs restraining now.Used Sikens SRD 1 coat.Held up good with lots of rain,snow & sun.what would be a good stain to use now?.Been told use same as first stain,SRD. THANKS

4. Logan

My wife and I are buying our first home and gutting the inside. We want wood floors throughout minus baths. Looking at southern yellow pine to save costs and are wanting to stain as dark as possible all the way to jet black with a satin finish. Likelihood of success on staining such a soft wood so dark and maintaining an even appearance?

High rate of success. WATCH my Wood Conditioner video to see what happens when you DON'T use one. I would suggest you do NOT use a conditioner.

5. George
    November 21, 2014

If I were to use white pine as siding for my new home and wanted to keep the light wood look what would be the best products to use? All of the wood would be coming from a local mill unsanded.

November 22, 2014

You should get my Deck Stain Test results. The same products you'd put on a deck is what you'd put on wood siding. Do NOT use any clear product or a product that contains ANY natural oil.

6. Sally
    December 27, 2014

I have a pine bedroom set in yellow pine finish. I'm tired of the color and want to apply a medium brown stain over it. Do I have to strip the original finish or just sandpaper off the old varnish and wax buildup? Thanks.

December 30, 2014

Neither. You can add pigment to CLEAR urethane. Just CLEAN the existing finish first and follow all the instructions on the urethane can. I'd apply a second CLEAR coat without pigment in it once the first coat is dry.

7. Lilan
    June 16, 2015

Hi,
    We are doing a 3-season porch. Original design called for "Rough sawn cedar...stained" but we are now changing to ASPEN (2" thick ...will shrink to 1-7/8" once seasoned).
    We want to stain it to a medium gray color. I've read about conditioners, and alcohol soluble dye. Which woul d you suggest. If the "look" is rustic..is it necessary to sand it before staining?
    thanks so much!

8. Kathy
    June 19, 2015

Hi,
    We are in the beginning stages of building a new home and as a cost saving option have decided to use Pine interior clad windows in lieu of Alder. The trim will be Alder and both will have a dark stain. We have seen a home (currently under construction) which had this done and we liked the look. However, I'm concerned that even though the stain appears to be a perfect match, over time the "look" may not last,and our costing saving measure (of using the 2 different woods) will end up costing us more money? Is this just needless worrying? Thanks

9. Barbara
    November 16, 2016

Hi
    I am spending nearly $ 2.000 for new stair railings. The Hemlock spindles stained blonde oak are two toned . the banisters were stained twice because of very blotchy appearance. The railing now was varnished once and isscheduled for sanding and second varnish, but the spindles look lighter on top and botton thanin the middle.