Porch Decking

1. Ron Sasetti

Is there a way to seal the spaces between the tongue & groove boards before sanding and repainting if they have separtated slightly over time?

June 6, 2012

Yes there is. Use a brush.

2. Mike Ridge

Thank you for this article.
    So, you suggest hand-nailing the t&g Fir boards?
    What are your thoughts on using an air floor nailer?
    I am concerned about splitting the tongue, or the possible buckling of boards, with the wood slipping right over the head of a regular finish nail (though unlikely when the wood has been properly treated)...
    not to mention missing a nail, denting the wood, bending a nail, etc..
    I have a porch job coming up - I bought a box of 2.5" stainless steel ring shank finish nails. The job is about 270 square feet.
    There seems to be so many different opinions on this particular point that I cannot find two alike on the internet, and therefore am a little unsure as to the best method.
    .75 x 3.50" t&g Douglas Fir - hand nail the SS ring shanks or air nail galvanized 2" L cleats???
    I also heard about 'casing' nails with a better head profile for added strength. Since the job is only about 270sq ft I thought I'd take a crack at nailing it myself. I'll be nailing into the original joists (though I may have to put in a couple support 2x8 pieces here and there. But I keep worrying about splitting the tongue, and having to toss boards out.
    Any thoughts???
    I greatly appreciate any feedback ! ! !
    Thank you ! ! !

Nail it whatever way makes you happy and you're comfortable.

3. john vona

I have a small partially covered front porch that needs reflooring and I had to tear out two partially rotted Doug-fir T&G floors. I am curious of your choice of Douglas fir which has relatively poor rot resistance relative to other species. I would think cedar or perhaps a tropical hardwood like T&G Ipe might be longer lasting. Any thoughts or comments?

• Fred The Caretaker

Use Douglas Fir T&G again. Do not mix woods as they have different expansion and shrinkage characteristics. I am doing the same thing on my 150 year old cape in Maine. Use 1x4 T&G fir, prime wiht oil base primer and try to blind nail as much as possible. Lay the last piece in by cutting off the bottom of the groove side piece, drop it in tight and either epoxy it there or sink a few stainless steel rimshank nails and cover the holes with sawdust from the fir flooring mixed with yellow wood glue. Sand and seal or paint.

4. Bruce G

What width of board do you recommend and what are my considerations. I have 1x3 tg douglas fir boards (2 1/4" on the face) on my deck currently and because the pitch was not sufficient water pooled and over time rot set in in several placed.

I am not sure that I can successfully source matching lumber to replace individual boards and repair will not solve the pooling problem.

So if I have to replace the whole thing can I/should I use wider boards like 1x4 or 1x6?

Thanks for the great article.