Properly Size Your Water Lines

1. Richard Pacella
    February 7, 2013

I have a new house and my water comes from a well. The builder
    had young plumber to do the plumbing but he plumb my riannis
    wrong so I just got done replacing the pipe. My question is
    the pipe from the well is two inch then he put a three inch piece of
    one inch to a shutof then ran three quater to half thru the house.
    I am in the process of fixing it. I would like to know if I should replace
    the pipe with one inch to half inch to my fixtures. Thank you
    Richard

2. rick jordan

I'm replacing a water line supplying a three bedroom two full bath home. Distance from meter box to house is 400 feet, water diameter line do I need? PVC vs PEC?

You won't go wrong with an 1.5-inch diameter line. What plastic is approved by your water company?????? Do your research online for FAILED stories about either material in your area.

3. rick jordan

Many thanks

4. Sean
    October 9, 2014

I just read your article and appreciate the information. Above our water meter on the house side is a pressure gauge that reads about 55-60 psi. When more than one tap is opened, the psi drops to about 20. The main is 3/4 inch and connects to the meter which is 5/8ths. Do you have any suggestions on how to maintain a 50-60 psi with more than one tap open? Thanks.

October 15, 2014

Yes. Install an in-line pressure pump like I have at my home!

5. olga morris
    December 22, 2014

We had water coming in to the house gushing in becaseu the metal piping separated from the water line fcoming into the house, so the shut off valve would do no good!!!! The plumber came out and recommended we replace the water oline coming in, because due to settling, the line is pulling out most likely causing what happened last night. Is this accurate>

December 22, 2014

Well, settling probably did cause the problem, but it doesn't mean you need a new line from the street to the house!

6. Ron Cook
    December 24, 2014

I'm building NEW house requiring 400+' run going UP about 100 feet. We going from a well with pump capacity of 20 GPM and currently running at 78 psi.
    Our pump is constant pressure 3 phase type (love it!!!).
    I expect to install an in-line pressure pump up there although I got good flow in test up there with a hose.
    What would you recommend for line running from the well up to the house? I was planning on PEX but probably need to run it inside larger PVC to protect it in this crushed sharp shale environment.
    Thanks

December 30, 2014

Bigger is better.

7. joseph pantoliano
    February 4, 2015

I need to find a way to size the water service for buildings from the city main to the meter in Hoboken N J city pressure is 90 psi

8. Matt H

After 2 polybutelene leaks in the same week, I am re-piping my house with PEX in NW FL. I have a 3/4" main supply line from the street to the 2100 square foot, 3 bath, house with irrigation sprinklers and pool. Pressure at one of the external faucets is 55 psi. House to street is approximately 100'. Distribution of the supply via manifold to the farthest faucet in the house won't be much more than 100'.

Is there any harm if I increase the size of the supply line entering the house from 3/4" to 1", allowing for the potential to re-pipe the supply line from the structure to the street if I ever feel that the water flow is no longer adequate?

In other words, I'll have 1" diameter pipe at the street, reduced to 3/4" pipe from the street to the house, then expanded back to 1" before entering the house. I figured since I have to open the walls to route the new PEX, I might as well maximize the pipe size now with the walls open, thinking that in the future, if I do have flow problems or install additional plumbing fixtures, all I would have to do at that point is re-pipe from the house to the street. Is there an issue with the reduction and subsequent expansion, with no definite plans to eliminate the reduction in the future?

9. Lou
    March 29, 2016

We are running water line from meter to new house - about 4000 feet. What size and psi line would you recommend? Thank you.

10. Joe

I have 1\2 inch PVC water lines in my house and a 1\2 feed line coming from the water main.Will my water pressure increase if I increase the outside feed pipe to 1 inch?

11. erick

How can I determine the size of the branch line of my piping if I have main pipe size of 4 inch. I am planning to have 3 branches, these three will flow going to the main and this these should not be overflow when they are simultaneously open at full flow. Please help. thanks

12. mike Phillips

i have a parking garage complaing on not enough pressure to use power washer on the 10 thru 14 floor. they have used 1/2" pvc to feed this. can this work with a booster pump