Remove Grout from Ceramic Tile

1. George Sibley
    February 6, 2013

Hi,

I cannot find a 1/16" teardrop grout removal tool for my Bosch oscillating MX30E. Do you know where I can get one?

Thanks,

George

2. Teri

Tim

I have a film on my new tile (just had a house built). The owner of the tile shop was here when it was first installed and he didn't seem like he knew what it was. If I wipe it with a cloth it looks okay, but anytime I try to use water on it the film shows up more. Would that be a grout film??? It does have a matte finish to a lot of it. I am sooo frustrated with it....and I don't really know what it is so I can not figure out how to clean it. I have never seen tile react to water the way this tile does. This tile is in my main areas and covers majority of my house. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!!

I need to see a photo of it. Do you have extra pieces of this tile in a box that were never installed? What happens when you wipe those with a wet rag?

3. Paulo
    November 13, 2014

I purchase floor tile that comes with a protective plastic film. Do I remove that before or after the grout?

November 13, 2014

Well, it depends on how the plastic is trimmed at the corners of the tile where the grout ends! I'd have to see a few tiles to give you the best answer.

4. Jan
    December 26, 2014

Last spring my contractor tiled a bathroom floor in a house we're planning on moving into. He left a haze of grout on the tile. The tile is matte, medium gray, and has a slightly textured finish, kind of like linen fabric. What do you recommend for removing the haze? It will drive me crazy if I can't get it removed.

December 30, 2014

I'd follow the instructions I wrote in this column.

5. Kevin Hart

I'm converting a downstairs bathroom into a living area. I intend to put engineered wood on the floor.

The old floor tiles have been removed but a lot of the old tile cement remains. How can I remove this residue as I understand the surface has to be level before the wood goes down.

6. A K
    October 11, 2015

i have a ceramic tile floor that cant seem to stay clean it isnt smooth but i don't believe that is the issue. Is it possible that a coating has come off or is there a coating that can be put on to help this issue

7. Patrick thompson
    November 10, 2015

I need to remove excessive grout from a porcelain tile that I grouted for a client. I have tried all sorts of grout remover where you leave on of 5 or 10 minutes and then wash off but it doesn't seem to shift the excess grout. I did see a video of a tool that fits into a drill but the tool had a plastic end to prevent damage to the tile. I have scrubbed and scrubbed to tiles but to no avail. Can you help. The tool I saw was on a video from America.

8. Zee M

Help! I watched too much do it yourself and thought I could regrout my ceramic kitchen tiles....I've made a mess. How do I remove the excess grout that's everywhere and already dried hard?

9. Sue

As a professional cleaner of new homes the best way to clean the haze of tiles is to clean the floors by hand and dry of with another cloth . This is the quickest way to remove the grout . If this dose not work go over it again.
    There is a thing which is on the internet called hazing which is built up grout in tiles and can only be seen with a microscope .

10. Lorna Brooks
    November 5, 2016

In the past as a DIYer I have very very carefully used a window scraper (the kind with a thin blade in a plastic holder) on smooth ceramic glazed tiles. Have just had lovely textured Alhambra Granada tiles fitted around a fireplace with flexible grout and have found that the nylon type pan scrubber/ washing up pad recommended by Tim and some Astonish paste as a mild abrasive seems to be helping.