Removing Moss and Algae From Roofs

1. Carolyn Archibald

Could you tell me if any of the fungacide or bleach products used to remove moss from a tiled roof are harmful to animals once the moss has fallen to the ground?

Carolyn,

You need my Stain Solver!!! It's a fantastic oxygen bleach that gets rid of algae that's left behind after you scrub the moss off the roof. Stain Solver will not harm your plants or any animals.

2. Gary Ronan

Hi.
    I have black algae forming on my east roof and as I have A light tan roof I would like it gone.
    I have not found copper strip for sale in my area but zink strip is pushed by many sales outlets. I do not care to use zink as I understand it does not work as well as copper.
    My father was an electrician for over 30 years before his retirement and upon his death I cleaned out his sheds and found several rolls of copper ground wire.I was wondering if I could use this wire instead of the copper strip? I thought 2 or 3 wires could be attached to the roof using copper plumbing straps or would this plan be A waste of time?
    I would have to hire this job out as I am in my 60's and I am unable to get on roof's anymore and I would hate to waste my money doing this job twice.

Thanks for your time.
    G.R. Ronan

Gary, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me.

3. Glenn
    December 11, 2012

Do you know if a solution of water and lemon juice would hurt/bleach the shingles? I would think the acid would help prevent more growth (and friendlier on my sewers)

Glenn, you should consider investing in a 15-Minute Consult with me. Look at my cart for that. Lot's to discuss. I just do short pithy answers here.

4. Lee
    February 4, 2013

To clean algae off a roof, how much Stain Solver is needed?

Say moderate stains for a roof 32' x 24'

February 24, 2013

3/4 cup of Stain Solver per gallon of water. Always always go to the http://www.StainSolver.com website and look at the Use Instructions there.

5. Dave

Forgot to mention, I've enjoyed your specifications for new house construction that I bought a while back, it's helped with our design of the house. I'm a detail-oriented person, so I appreciate your effort to include the nitty gritty.

6. Mary M Callahan

will the poison solution runoff created by the copper strips used for moss control damage aluminum gutters?

No. Not at all.

7. jeff
    June 2, 2014

I have a roof covered in green moss,wil stain solver remove and or kill in short period of time?

June 2, 2014

Stain Solver WILL help you make the roof look like new. You will need to scrub the roof. To keep the roof FREE of algae, you need to install some copper strips along the ridge line of the roof.

8. scott murry

Wonder if your stain solver would help remove black stains on an EIFS acrylic wall surface? Bleach does NOT work.

Scott, well it depends on what the black stains are! Do you have a clue? You can buy a small sample size of Stain Solver and try. At this point you have NOTHING TO LOSE.

9. Greybeard

We have a 5-year-old high-end GAF roof. It's blue. On the north side, a downspout from the top gable drains onto a lower gable, and there's black visible there, which I'm assuming is mold. Since that's the only place it's appearing, I was wondering if I couldn't put a copper strip in the mouth of that downspout, rather than at the ridge. Shouldn't this work? Any downside if it doesn't?

10. Mike

I have a cottage in Northern Wi near the UP of Michigan. I was informed by my roofer, the supplier and the manufacturer that I do not need to apply zinc strips to the new roof that I am installing. I am using a Landmark Pro asphalt AR shingle that carries a 15 year Algae Resistant warranty.

I am told placing a zinc strip woul be redundant since there is zinc in the material. Can you please comment on the feasibility of putting zinc or copper strips on these particular shingles. What is the benefit of using copper over zinc? Is the higher cost for copper worth it? What is effective shelf life of zinc and what is effective shelf life to protect against algae for copper?
    Am I better off waiting 5 - 10 years to put on the zinc and or copper strips since new shingles have zinc and come with a 1( year AR warranty?
    Please respond ASAP as I need to inform contractor working on project.
    Thank You.

11. Chad L

I'm a roof repair tech and I am thinking about using Ajax Oxygen Bleach, since it seems to be the same thing, am I correct on this?

Well, you need to ask the Ajax people these questions:

Is Ajax CERTIFIED ORGANIC?
      Do the raw materials used to make Ajax come from the USA or China?
      How much active ingredient is in Ajax?

My Stain Solver oxygen bleach is Certified organic, the two ingredients are Made in the USA, and we have the most amount of active ingredient as allowed by law so we can ship via any method in the USA.

12. Dave Poole

I was advised to use lead strip. What are your views on lead?