Replace Vinyl Siding With Brick

1. Sara W

What on average does it cost to replace vinyl siding/ shingles with a brick exterior?

There is no average. Each job is different. There are many variables.

2. Inna Radzinsky

"There are many variables" sounds like "I have no idea". There are not so many variables since cost of materials is rather standard.

I was quoted $40K for 1600 sq feet of thin brick installation. The price includes labor and material and the cost of removing old wood siding. I have no idea whether this is a reasonable price or not. To hear the price range from the builder who did this job would be very helpful.

Oh let's see. How about we list some variables:

is the lot level?
      how are the brick going to be supported since they would be outside of the foundation line
      who's responsible for flashing all the windows and doors?
      Is there an existing chimney that needs to be incorporated?
      Is there a deck or patio at the house that needs to be dealt with?
      Are there large trees and landscaping that interfere with the setting of scaffolding?

Should I keep going Inna????

3. Jay

Aside from looking good, I see no real advantage in having brick veneers...or is there? I'm debating whether or not I should renew the old aluminum sidings or replace it with some sort of veneer. Be it brick or other material. Not a very knowledgeable person when it comes to construction. Any input as to what I should do? By the way great article.

• JBob

I find the idea of the weep holes and water behind the brick a little scary myself, but I will say that one advantage of brick is that it never needs to be painted. It's also a pretty good insulator. You could argue that aluminum siding never needs to be painted, but my dad used to have to wash our aluminum siding every year - otherwise it looked like an old car with dead paint on it Plus, any time we had a hail storm we got dented siding. And, aluminum is about as horrible an insulator as you could possibly find! Personally, if you don't have a house that was built with a brick veneer, I'd be inclined to recommend Hardi Board siding. It's easy to install (contrary to what many people will try to tell you), is available pre-colored, and is similar to brick in many respects (i.e. it doesn't burn, resists denting, doesn't rot, termites won't eat it, etc.). Plus, it retains the original look of a house that was built with siding. Or - if you want a different look, you can get Hardi siding in shingle shapes or sheets for board and batten style siding.