Rock Retaining Wall

1. Clark
    June 13, 2013

Dear Tim, thank you for that very informative post. I'm having a quote done on a blasted rock retaining wall for a parking pad about 4 ft tall. My question is can we build on these walls. We are eventually planning on building a garage onto the the new parking pad. Will this wall hold a garage structure on it? Thanks Clark.

February 27, 2014

I'd have to be there to answer you comfortably.

2. Kathy

I built a dry stack wall with various types of rock I have harvested over a period of 2 yrs. I used mortar to set the limestone caps, but it didn't stick. When I went back to chisel out the mortar, the wall started feeling unstable. Since I didn't know what I was doing in the first place, I didn't end up with a solid surface to set the caps on. I thought I could just glop mortar on top and it would ooze in between the smaller stones. It worked on in a few places. The wall is 20' long, and I don't think I have the gumption to tear it down & start over! I put in more backfill, and am rebuilding a portion with some larger, flatter stones. Can I just get regular Quikrete & glop it over any remaining mortar on to set the caps? Would another product work better? I thought I could use liquid nail to glue smaller rocks to the front to cover the ugly. I intended to use it for seating in front of the flower bed/retaining wall. HELP!

3. jim hillman
    June 26, 2014

Hi Tim. I have a basement that comes out ground level on one side.On that side I have temporary retaining walls on each side 3 to 4' high coming off the poured consrete walls. Only about 8' long as the grade slopes away. Is it possible to put a large stone retaining wall in this type of situation coming off from a poured concrete wall?

Yes, it is possible to do this.

4. Lori Heisel

Hi Tim, what is the best foundation for setting keystone leagacy stone split in colorado clay?

5. mark wallace
    February 28, 2016

Can you recommend someone/contractor to build a natural stone, dry wall please?

6. Marian Hamlin

Hello,
    I have two existing rock retaining walls and want to put some mortar between the rocks, I can see where the dirt is eroding plus I am hoping it will keep some of the weeds at bay. What is the best, easiest way to accomplish this?