Roof Cleaning

1. Stanley
    February 22, 2015

The assumption that Pressure-washing damages concrete is completely false! A pressure-washer does not have enough power to tear apart concrete. I can run a pr. washer tip across my hand while it is running... I can remove dried paint or gum from concrete without damaging it. Concrete has many variations in quality of formula, and has improved a lot over 50 years. The thing that most damages concrete is Mother Nature, meaning age, moss, freezing & thawing cycles, de-icer, traffic, etc.
    Concrete can be made to last longer by applying a sealer to it every few years. Or, cleaning it annually.
    The breakdown of concrete is not due to washing it, but rather to many other factors, and washing it is necessary and can prolong its lifespan.

2. Tim Carter
    February 22, 2015

I hate to say it but you're completely wrong. All you have to do to see the power of water flowing across GRANITE at just 14.2 pounds per square inch (PSI) is hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon on the Kaibab Trail. You'll then instantly understand that water squirting out of a pressure washer at 2400 PSI can and will erode the cement paste at the surface of concrete. If you want further proof, go to Chicago. Look at the sidewalk in front of the Chicago Tribune building. See all that exposed aggregate? That's because it gets PRESSURE WASHED at least once a week.

Industrial pressure washers are used all the time to cut through concrete and metal. Do us all a favor and STOP posting false information here at my website. Your comment about your pressure washer not hurting your hand is ludicrous. Just talk to any ER doctor and she'll tell you all about the people that come in with severe injuries from pressure washers.

3. Shannon
    November 18, 2015

Hi Tim,

I would have to disagree with your advice on cleaning asphalt shingle roofs with a pressure washer. You can not effectively clean your roof without causing damage. In fact the Asphalt Roofing Manufactures Association (ARMA) along with every asphalt roofing manufacturer will tell you not to use a pressure washer on your roof. It will damage your roof even if you think it does not and it will void your roof warranty.

The accepted method to clean your roof is a method called softwashing. It is a low pressure system (less than 100 psi) using chemicals to clean your roof.

I hope you will retract your advice on cleaning a roof with a pressure washer and steer the people to the correct way to clean their roofs.

November 19, 2015

Shannon,

Thanks for your comment. I went up and added new content to the column that should take care of your concern. It's in red. You should read it. I'm in the beginning stages of gathering all sorts of evidence about what may be a serious misbehavior within the asphalt shingle industry. Stay tuned. You should subscribe to my newsletter to be informed when I publish my findings early in 2016.