Roof Turbine Vents

1. Charles roecklein

Are turbine vents water-tight or will external rainwater be able to enter the vent and possible get into the room interior??

2. Randy
    November 23, 2012

Are there Turbine vents that one can mount on the ridge of a roof?

Randy, your question require lots of typing and I have some questions for you. You should consider investing in a 15-Minute Consult with me. Look at my cart for that. Lot's to discuss. I just do short pithy answers here.

3. Jason

Isn't 'well insulated' when the outside and inside temperatures are slowed from balancing out right away? You make it sound like making something well insulated means having it open to external temperatures rather than locked off from them.

4. Mark

My roof turbine vents do not spin as much as my neighbors, even on a windy day. Any quick fixes?

February 27, 2014

Can you say oil?

5. Steve M
    June 29, 2013

I would like to put a 14" in the middle of my garage roof so it won't be so oppressive out there when the temp is over 90.
    Problem is we can get well over 2 feet of snow in the winter. How did you deal with that in Ohio?
    And, should I put some diverter rails above the turbine

6. Connie

Me and my husband notice that we don't have
    The vents turbine vents on the roof. We didn't know if this was a bad thing and wanted to know
    Thank you .

7. Ernest

I have 4 roof turbines. One was sqeeking for a bit, then stopped spinning. I am worried that if it starts raining, will this cause water to drain into the attic if its not covered? I teally need an answer. And if the turbine needs to be replaced how much is the 14 inch black ?

Can you say *oil it*? :->>>>>

8. bob
    June 5, 2014

my roofer is telling me my turbans are to close to my roof vents and this can create a problem. He states the turban can pull rain water into the attic.

June 6, 2014

Your roofer is giving you misinformation. I've had turbine vents for years and never a drop of water in my attic.

9. Tammy
    June 22, 2014

My husband n I
    just bought a home. I noticed rope on vent to keep it from spinning should we take the rope off it is hotter in there than outside.

June 24, 2014

The turbine vents should be allowed to spin. Don't count on one or two turbine vents to lower attic temperatures significantly. You need TENS of THOUSANDS of cubic feet of air per minute passing through the attic to get the temperature to drop.

10. Bruce B

I'm thinking about installing a wind turbine ventilator in my very hot garage. Should I be concerned about - or take any precautions to insure a necessary air supply for - the natural gas powered water heater in the garage?

You should follow all recommendations that are called out for by the water heater manufacturer. A supply of combustion air is always a good idea!

11. Tim

if I already have ridge vents will roof turbines help, hurt or just be ineffective.

I think you need to read all of my Turbine Vent columns again and pay attention to what I say. 🙂

12. Frankie J

Very very helpful.....

13. Rudy

Do rotary turbines need to be installed where are above the ridge line to catch wind from all directions? I just had a new roof and whirlybirds installed and I can't see them from the front of my house while standing in the street. When I drive down the street, I can see my neighbors whirlybirds from the street. The roofers installed a whirlybird in the hole where an non working electric attic ventilator was located 40 inches from the ridge line . Then they lined up the other whirlybirds with it. For them to operate effectively, should they be visible above the ridge line, even if barely above the ridge line?

They don't have to be near the peak, but when placed there, they remove more of the hot air trapped under the peak.

I prefer to locate them so they're NOT VISIBLE from the street. Believe me, they'll spin if not peeking above the peak!

14. Ezekiel

My home is a southern ranch that doesnt have an attic. I want to install some wind turbines to remove excess humidity and associated cold when the weather during the colder months and rainy season make my house uncomfortable to live in. The volume of my home is just under 12,000 square feet. What is a good APH (air changes per hour) to keep my house comfortable, and what size and how many wind turbine ventilators would you recommend me having installed? Many thanks for taking the time to answer!

I cover this in a few past columns about the same topic. Type: "turbine vent" into my search engine and read ALL the results.

15. ed
    October 26, 2014

How tricky is it to install a turban on a metal roof with gradual pitch

October 27, 2014

It's not too bad. The trick is to make a horizontal slit in the metal roof that's the EXACT width of the base flashing for the turbine vent. The top 2/3s of the vent base flashing slides up UNDER the metal roof.

16. Omar
    October 30, 2014

Good day

Do you have a specifications table or chart for such ventilator that have ventilator speed Vs wind speed, and dimensions… etc. I want more information for my company project.

regards

October 30, 2014

No. But you may find it at the manufacturers' websites.

17. Caroline
    November 7, 2014

Should i cover up my rotary turbine if we have a really cold winter, Nor' easter?

Thanks

November 8, 2014

NO!!!! You want the turbines to SPIN in the winter to exhaust water vapor that seeps from your house into your attic!

18. Ray Ray
    November 17, 2014

I HAD plans on trash bagging mine up for the winter I just installed but not now! Thx Tim! Besides they look cool huh? I'm digging the glossy black. Being a musician with jams indoors and out the black is so cool!

Gonna pick up a couple more and have a turbine party soon!

November 18, 2014

Do NOT cover turbine vents in the winter!!! You need them to exhaust out water vapor.

19. Monika Smith
    November 24, 2014

During a Storm one of my turbines fell in the back yard. I'm gone for a week, if it should rain while I'm gone can it rain into the Roof.

November 25, 2014

If a storm creates a hole in your roof, water will get inside. Unless...... unless you know a group of wizards, I belong to such a group here in NH, that will cast a protective spell on your home and all it's underwater allies.

20. Monika Smith
    November 24, 2014

Will it rain into my roof ,my turbine came of in a storm.

November 25, 2014

If the turbine is oiled and spins freely, it will not rain into your home.

21. vangie
    December 2, 2014

Hi, the house that we bought had a turbine and i've seen it rotating but winter comes, i noticed it stop rotating for a couple of weeks now. Is there problem to that? Thanks!

December 3, 2014

It just may not be windy enough to cause it to rotate. Just don't cover it like some do. That's a huge mistake.

22. shelley

my whirleybird freezes in the winter since I upgraded the insulation in my attic. there are also eavestrough vents, but the whirleybird looks like a big snowball. we knock the snow off, but need to figure out what's going wrong. I live in Saskatchewan and so we are dealing with very cold winter temperatures. any suggestions?

You must have VAST amounts of water vapor in the home that's escaping into the attic as it should. This water vapor then FREEZES to the cold metal of the turbine vent. Explore what might be causing so much water vapor in your home. READ all my past columns about WATER VAPOR.

23. Cameron
    March 4, 2015

I have eve vents and a turbine vent in the house i just bought. I want to finish the space how can i finish it? Do i need to install a new roof and ridge vent to finish the attic space bedroom. Thanks!

24. Lee

I had a roof put on two years ago and I upgraded to ridge vents and a turbine vent in place of the power fan vents I also added a second turbine also. My wife did like how they looked on the house so we had the contractor paint them. I soon notice that mine didn't spend like my neighbors even in A strong wind they spent slower than normal. Please advise

25. jim walker

I am getting a new roof and currently have 5 pan vents and soffit intake venting. My house is a 2 story, 3,000 sf total. The Eagle view shows the roof to be 4,300sf. My roofer originally recommended ridge venting. But upon further discussion he went to the Lomanco dealer and presented the Eagle view and the dealer said the best solution was to replace the pan vents with 5 turbine vents. Any thoughts on this? And, is 5 turbines too many?

26. Dave

4 months ago I had a new roof put on my house I use to have 2 whirlybirds the roofer told me I should put a third one on so I had him add another 12 inch whirlybird on my 1400 square foot home now I usually only see 1 spin. They are brand new. Any ideas

27. Ethel
    June 2, 2015

Can rain water be blown into your turbine and cause your roof to start leaking?
    Our roof is damaged and my husband insist that is what caused the problem. So he has put a trash bag over it. Is he right, and should it be covered???

June 2, 2015

Water can only enter a turbine vent if it's not spinning - lack of oil on the bearings, or someone installed the flashing wrong and it's leaking. Turbine vents are the BEST static vents known to man or woman. You can tell your husband he's making a mistake covering it and he should get up on the roof and see what's wrong with it.

28. Wolf

My son's house is hot during the day. We had the a/c checked everything is fine. The turbine on the house are spinning a little. Do I need bigger turbines. The house 2000 sq ft living area.

29. Paul Albright

I installed per the directions but was unable to get elbow level. Will this be a problem for spinning or rain?

30. Hans Mooy

Tim...a couple questions... Which whirlybird is better; externally braced or internally? My attic has a ridge vent with plastic inserts between rafters.... Soffit vents are limited due to no real soffit. Will the whirly birds draw more are through the ridge than the house? I also have an attic window fan(king-aire) and a bathroom vent... Will these be effected by the whirlybird? Location of the whirlybird on the roof: needs to be 5' from the ridge since attic is finished...is whirlybird better located in the crawl space storage areas?

Thank you in advance....maybe a sketch can be sent... I think I hit the high points....

Hans

31. Anne

Is there a way to quiet these things? There's one on the roof of my apartment. And all day long I hear that spinning, it's driving me crazy. And no, I don't think it needs oil, as it doesn't squeak. It just spins!!! ALL... DAY... LONG...

32. izzi
    December 22, 2015

I need to have my roof replaced and wondered if I should replace the wind turbines at the same time. My roofer said I didn't need to, but the insurance adjuster included them in their estimate. They are galvanazed, but work just fine.

December 22, 2015

If they're in great shape, leave them alone. At least oil the bearings while all this work is going on.

33. Jeremy

Tim, wanted to thank you for all the insights. Have a shed turbine that has been letting water in, but your threads have given me plenty of info to dive into it. One question remains. It sounds like one of the main reasons to vent the attic is to release moisture, but what about places where the outside air is very humid?

34. Ray Cook

have no soffit vents and no way to install them but i have a gable vent on the east side and one on the southside..if i install a turban on the westside will it pull air in the gables and reduce the condensation in my attia it a problem on the northside of the attic..any help will be appreciated thank you..

35. Chrissy

TIM, HELP, I WAS TOLD AS LONG AS MY TURBINE ROOF VENT IS SPINNING SNOW WOULD NOT ACCUMULATE AROUND IT. IT HAS STOPPED. DO I NEED TO HAVE THE SNOW REMOVED ? THE COMPLETE TURBINE IS STILL VISIBLE. THANK YOU

36. Janardhan

Hello,

Can i implement this for my house(villa) to get natural air (roof top)

What will be the approximate cost, if possible.

Thanks,
    Janardhan

37. Al
    February 11, 2016

If one is to follow your advice and leave roof turbine vents uncovered during the winter, why are there so many vent covers on the market?
    I've lived in a house with turbines for 26 years, have covered them every winter and have never had a moisture problem in the attic. The plastic covers have now given out and I'm looking for replacements--maybe canvas or something heavier although the black plastic has given me about 8 years each time. I intend to keep covering the turbines because that works for my climate. Perhaps you should qualify your advice as it relates to the homeowner's geography and climate. The West is a hell of a lot different from the East Coast in terms of average humidity etc.

February 12, 2016

Because some people don't use common sense and are led to believe the vents should be covered!

Perhaps you should spend a little time dusting off your high school physics book and pay lots of attention to the part about vapor pressure, condensation, and air density.

But my guess is you'll not do that because you feel that your past performance is a valid indicator of future behavior.

38. Mike
    February 20, 2016

Tim,

My girlfriend just moved into a condo where they have the hot water heater underneath the turbine vent. They've extended the exhaust pipe to go straight up into the spinning turbine. Have you heard of this being done before? Is it safe?

39. Felicia
    March 31, 2016

I just moved into a house and the carport was converted into more living space I have one maybe two turbine vents but I need to know what other vents or how many more turbine vents do I need to bring down the temperature because my house always seems warmer than outside (spring n summer) even worth the added insulation. ...PLEASE HELP!!!!

40. Lani Minella

Help. I had two great tall turbines and one had a broken blade. Roofer said they don't make the tall ones any more and I can't find them anywhere online. The taller one spins but new shorter one doesn't. Is there a way to get an extension to make the shorter one taller? Thanks

41. Talesha

What if my roof turbine vent broke a few of the slots from a storm ... is that bad? Do I need to replace it?

42. Doug

Obviously you have never visited Canada up here we have things like ice and snow! They do freez up in ice storms and snow acumilation. My next door neighbor spent a day digging out his attic bucket after bucket after his USA built vents froze solid and allowed snow yes snow to blow in. Years later they were the noisiest things ever and he oiled them all the time. We have vents that cover the vent that don't allow snow in like a vent cover that you can purchase for rv trailer.

43. Susan
    June 3, 2016

My top of house turbines have rust on them.. Can I paint them?

44. Kenneth
    June 14, 2016

Tim, I have a fairly new roof with new turbine vents. My house sits North/South with the vents on the North side. I've installed extra soffit vents to supply more intake air, but my birds just aren't moving with a South wind. My neighbor 15' away has a tree on his west side and his birds are buzzing off his roof while mine are still. Birds are leveled and oiled. Instead of cutting into my roof to raise my birds, is there an extension made for turbine vents? I'm a function guy, not an aesthetics gut. I'll raise them up over the peak to catch wind. It's about 3" below.
    Thanks

45. Chris
    June 16, 2016

I cannot install soffit vents as there is no soffit. I have four slant back roof vents at the top of the roof, but need to feed it. So I was thinking I could install more of the same slant back roof vents at the bottom of the roof, and that while imperfect compared to soffit vents (which again are impossible for my situation) those lower roof vents would allow in cool air and feed the upper roof vents. Will that work at all?

46. Ken

Can you reuse turbine ventilators? When tearing off and teshingling

47. Joseph Allawos

Is there a way to balance a wobbly turbine?