Roof Vent

1. Dianah

Thank you for this very helpful article on roof vents. I will have a new roof installed in the near future and I'm in a quandary as to the type of roof venting I should have. So, just a clarification question: are you saying that ridge vents do not actually work? I have one contractor who wants to install can vents because he says the ridge vents do not work. I have another contractor who says the ridge vent is by far the best method. I'm left in a state of confusion. After reading your article I think the biggest selling point of the ridge vent is probably that it is most pleasing to the eye. Am I correct? Thank you, Tim, in advance for your response.

Dianah, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

2. David Reilly
    November 7, 2012

Just had a ridge vent installed, and the roofer only cut one side of the roof for venting. He did not cut the recomended 1 3/4 inch on either side of the ridge beam. Will this be a problem, and should I have him re-work it to the requirement?

David, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. Gail
    February 6, 2013

Previously my house used two louvered vents one at either end of the main "gable" (for lack of knowing what to call it) (each side of the house under the main part of the roof). These are just openings with screen wire attached to the back of a metal insert with louvers. It's a small house. When I had my house re-roofed, the roofer installed a ridge vent all the way across the top of the roof. I read somewhere that if there is a ridge vent, these other vents should be closed off so the ridge vent will work and pull the hot air out. Now I read where the ridge vent doesn't do the job, so should I leave things as they are...with the side louvered vents and the ridge vent?

4. Tom Peat
    February 20, 2014

Saying that heat will not rise out of a ridge vent because the shingles force air down a bit is like saying the physics of a siphon won't work because some water has to go uphill. Most of the heat is rising as most of the water has to fall.

5. Gary Bieniarz
    October 11, 2014

Hi Tim: How far from the peak of a roof should vents be placed?

Thank you.

October 15, 2014

The higher the better.

6. Ruth
    November 3, 2014

I just had my pole barn garage rebuilt because of a roof collapse. The builders put a vented roof on so I could use a wood stove. Leaves are now coming in should this be? It is an insurance job and need to know I don't want to sign that I am happy with it, if it isn't right.

Thank You

November 3, 2014

Leaves should not be entering through the roof. No way no how.

7. Latoya
    December 8, 2014

You are asking about the roof which could resist weather, water and heat. My experience is about a roof repair which is having all these qualities that is RV Roof Sealent as far as roof material concerned metal is better and long lasting.

8. Carol
    June 10, 2015

I need a new roof, and I presently have a ridge vent the whole length - 38'. The roofer wants to close up the ridge vent and instead install 7 roof vents. Is this a good idea? The pitch of the roof is 4 1/2 - 12. Thank you.

• John

Why does your roofer want to close the ridge vent?

9. John

Interesting article. When you tested your ridge vent on your home, please answer yes or no to the following questions:
    1. Did you have soffit vents?
    2. Did you have baffles in place?
    3. If yes to #1, Was the amount of soffits equal to the amount of ridge vent opening?
    And were the soffits unobstructed (such as not having blown-in insulation on top of them)?
    4. If yes to #2, Were the baffles in every accessible attic bay?

10. michael

i am in the process of installing a barrel tile roof on my house, where i previously had wood shingles. Th old roof had fans to pump the hot air out of the attic, where as now the opening is much smaller and they are installing the goose neck vents to the house. I do not feel as comfortable with this idea because the air can not escape fast enough to keep the home cool.

Please advise on what to install properly for best results, i live in Miami Florida.

11. Joseph Feanolich

I had 25' of ridge vent installed several years ago at the peak of a section of flat roof (back) to front angled roof (front). It seems when it rains really hard, I get water coming down between the walls in one section. Now I have a mold problem. What would you suggest? I need to get up on the roof to make sure branches and leaves are not preventing drainage away from the ridge. Is ridge roofing along a flat roof section, a good idea?

12. Phyllis

Next Step insulated our attic in March and they installed four mushroom vents on the back side of the roof. When they said four vents, we thought they would be small vents on the lower side, not big Mushroom vents. Had we known their intentions, we would not have had it done. Now, we are doing a new roof and want architectural shingles and a ridge roof. The roofer will remove the mushroom vents for an additional $1,000. Should we replace the mushroom cover with a better looking cover or go with the ridge roof?