Roof Ventilation with Turbine Vents

1. charlene tiffany

have a tublar vent in the shed of the home I just moved into, inside there is water stains on the floor under the vent, prior occupant said it leaked everytime it rained. Is there something I can purchase to put on the inside to stop the rain from leaking into the storage unit thru this

Charlene, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me.

2. Yolanda

My turbine ventilator blew off. How do I reattach it? The shaft that it connects to does not have any threads so how was it previously attached? I looked on a ton of other websites and I have seen the internally attached and the externally attached. I do not think mine was externally attached because I don't remember seeing the metal brackets holding it up there. I am not sure if it was internally attached because the top of mine is has a small 1 inch opening with two little holes one either side. I am confused as to how it was attached previous to the giant wind storm we had. How can I fix this?

You use screws. It's a male / female set up once you get on the roof.

3. John Mayer
    March 26, 2014

...sorry cant help.

..there is a new to me static vent to replace noisy turbine vents. WheaterPro Turbo for 12"&14" base. Superior Air flow, no Maintenance.
    Made by Duraflow.
    Hase anyone used this type of static vent?

4. Garrison

Just had to replace a turbine vent that was blown off roof during high winds. Cost paid to roofing company was $599.

5. john

I have a handyman install one, however the roof has quite a pitch and the vent is slanted at about 20-30 degree, not horizontal.
    Is that a problem?
    Thank you

Yes, that's a problem.

The spinning BASE of the turbine vent should be level.

6. Gilbert

What are the causes of these vent air turbines to slow down in their spinning during windy days? Out of 3 vents mounted on my roof, one spins normally while the other two are slow and sometimes don't spin at all. I have put WD-40 on the shaft and bearings and it spins fine, but after mounting it, it seems to behave as before, slow spin. Does mounting these vent fans exactly perpindicular to a horizontal plane make a difference?

Gilbert,

I'd say the bearings are worn. Turbines are CHEAP. Look above and CLICK that image of one. Those are the BEST ONES Made in the USA. Just get a new one or two.

7. Zia Beg
    June 2, 2015

Hi Tim

I recently had 2 Whirlybird turbines installed on my newly shingled roof. One closer to the front and the other closer to the back of the roof. There are still 5 or 6 static vents in the roof as well.

I've heard that the turbines might disrupt the natural flow of the attic air because once they start spinning they will start to draw air in from the nearby static roof top vents rather than the air moving in naturally from the soffit vents.

Should I be concerned?

June 3, 2015

No. If you want the best ventilation, remove the static vents and replace with more turbine vents.

8. Theresa

We just installed wind turbines and looking at them, I am wondering if we just created a bat problem. Can and do they enter those turbines ?

9. Jann

We had a metal turbine vent installed on a steel shipping container that we are using as storage. The vent is leaking water on to the floor. My husband wants to remove it because of the leak and I want to keep it because of the great air flow. Can you give suggestions as to why it would be leaking? Your help is very much appreciated!

10. Wignesh

Hi Tim,
    Two questions I have
    1) How do we calculate the size of turbine vent we needed for the a particular size of the attic based on certain wind speed. You gave two example of 5mph and 15mph but no formula.

2) Could you please explain in a more simplerer manner on this comment " The spinning BASE of the turbine vent should be level."

Any youtube clip you have or pictorial diagram stating the mechanics?

Am setting a new room in my house but the area was a vacant area where you can see the ground floor to second floor now after closing the area, the up stairs is much warmer and darker.

So am goign to put a vent fan (condenser motor based) with 295cfm in the "enterance " of my second house floor and another inside the new no opening room.

My thought is if you bring the hot/warm air inside the house esp on the second floor to the attic and use two 14" turbine to suck out the air then house will be cooler.

my house is 22*75 feet.

Kindly share your thought... am new to this so am picking up the terminologies and advices from various sources.

thank you
    Wignesh

11. Jimmy

Personally, I think these vents are of little value. They do not have enough draw under usual circumstances to expel heat except between the two roof joists which they straddle.

12. Walter

Turbine vents will ventilate an attic if the proper amount of them are used and they are installed properly but in most cases a "good quality" ridge vent product that is properly baffled will out perform them every time. On the 36'X50' attic example you gave it would take 4 - 12" turbines or 3 - 14" turbines to meet the minimum spec for exhaust ventilation. (1 sq. ft. of net free area per 300 sq. ft. of attic space. 50% of that intake and 50% exhaust.) 4 - 12" turbines equals 452 sq inches. 3 - 14" turbines equals 462 sq. inches. 432 sq. inches was the minimum spec for the above mentioned roof. A good quality ridge vent will give 900 sq. inches and will keep the attic much cooler unless you want to use 6 or 8 turbines.
    Another important side note is if you go way over on roof exhaust ventilation you need to have equal (or a little more) intake or you could create a low pressure situation in the attic which could pull air in through exhaust vents in certain situations.

13. Horace Allen

What was the answer to: "We just installed wind turbines and looking at them, I am wondering if we just created a bat problem. Can and do they enter those turbines ?"

14. Allen

What precautions can you take to prevent rain or snow from leaking though the turbine?

Keep the bearings oiled! The curved blades are designed to spit rain and snow OUT when they spin. A high-quality turbine - CLICK THE IMAGES ABOVE IN THE POST TO GET ONE - spin with the slightest puff of wind if you install them level as they should be.

15. Linda Wowk

Hi, this is Linda, I live in a townhouse and am on the condo board. There are 10 units left to re-roof, one of them is mine. We still have the wirlybirds but the Management has asked for these not be put back on the new roofs. My question, do we actually need these on the roofs?

Yes. I feel you need them. They're the best system.

16. Dan
    June 17, 2016

Good Day, I live in an area where wind does not normally accompany rain and so it looks like the turbine fan is leaking rainwater into the ceiling. Is there anyway to mitigate this issue? The turbine fan is on a 12x15 building. Should i just remove the fan and not bother with ventilation?

17. DICK WROBEL

I LIVE IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. PARADISE/95969. WE RECENTLY HAD 4 ROOF TUBINS INSTALLED. DO WE NEED TO COVER THEM IN THE WINTER TIME OR ARE WE OK NOT TO. WE'VE HEARD PRO'S AND CONS ON WHAT TO DO. CAN YOU GIVE ME ADVISE ON THIS. WERE ABOUT 100 MILES ABOVE SACRAMENTO.THANKS DICK

18. Desirene Adderley

I'm considering purchasing a wind turbine but I live in The Bahamas where we can experience hurricanes category 3 and above. Would a wind turbine withstand high wind speeds as are associated with hurricanes.

19. Hsiao Chen

I have a one story house. It's about 2450 SF. My roof had to be replaced after hail damage, I got a contractor to do the job. My old turbines was removed and replaced with some areas of ridge vent. I only found out after the work was done. I live in north TX , I was not sure the ridge vents are enough for the extreme weather here. We had lots above 100's temp every summer. I was told by the roofer once I have ridge vent I don't need turbines . The two does not work together. Really? What should I do ? I really can not have both? please advise !