Roof Ventilation with Turbine Vents

The roof ventilation rage over the past 15 years has been continuous ridge and soffit ventilation. These systems are nearly invisible and they create a system through which air enters your attic space and then gently floats through the attic space. No matter what the time of year, the air exits the attic space through small gaps at the peak of the roof. These gaps are covered with any number of different products that allow air to pass, but prohibit rain, snow and insects from entering your attic area. You can't see these vents as they are almost always covered by the roofing shingles at the peak.

The mechanics of the air movement are quite simple. During warm weather, the air inside your attic heats up. Since warm air rises, it tends to float out of the high ventilation spaces. This convection movement naturally draws in cooler outside air to replace the air that just exited.

Wind that blows across the roof anytime of year also acts to vacuum air from the attic space. The wind blowing across a roof can create a partial vacuum on the leeward side of a roof. When the wind blows and at the right angle a significant amount of air can be pulled through the attic space.

But in my opinion, there is a better ventilation method that pulls vast quantities of air from an attic space no matter which direction the air blows. I am speaking of traditional wind turbine vents. Some people call these whirlybird vents. They are round metal vents that have fins in them and stick up from the roof surface perhaps 18 - 20 inches. The fins are located in a dome-shaped housing that spins each time the wind blows across it. The faster the wind speed, the faster the turbine rotates.

Turbine vents have been used for many years in both residential, commercial, agricultural and industrial buildings. The vents are very affordable, easy to install, and they pump vast amounts of air from attic spaces.

CLICK HERE to see an assortment of turbine vents that I've used on my jobs. Made in the USA!

A small 12-inch diameter turbine vent with a constant wind speed of 5 miles per hour (mph) can remove 347 cubic feet of air per minute (cfm) from the attic space. A single 14-inch diameter turbine vent that is subjected to 15 mph winds can expel up to 1,342 cfm of air! If the winds are still, the vents still allow air to drift up and out of the attic space, although not nearly as much.

CLICK this IMAGE to get the turbine vents that I put on all my jobs. Great great quality and Made in the USA! Image credit: Lomanco

Those amounts of air might not mean much to you at first blush. But consider a moderately sized home whose attic space is 36 feet deep, 50 feet long and 10 feet high at the peak. This attic space contains 18,000 cubic feet of air. The single 12 inch diameter turbine vent could provide a complete change of air in the attic space every 52 minutes if the outside breeze was just 5 mph. The 14 inch diameter unit could provide a complete air change in the attic every 14 minutes at 15 mph. Imagine what happens if you install two or three of these simplistic turbine vents on the back side of your roof out of view?

Many people look at the vents and think they will leak during a rainstorm. The wind that almost always accompanies a rain shower or storm actually causes the turbine to spin and blow rain drops away from the vent. The same is true for snow.

The roofer your builder hires can install a turbine vent in less than 15 minutes. The average cost of a high quality turbine vent is just $50. The best ones provide years of maintenance-free service since they have permanently sealed ball bearings.

If you want the strongest turbine vent, be sure to buy one that has external braces. These are simple metal braces that extend out beyond the spinning turbine. These visible braces do a fantastic job of stabilizing the turbine when the winds are really blowing.

15 Responses to Roof Ventilation with Turbine Vents

1. have a tublar vent in the shed of the home I just moved into, inside there is water stains on the floor under the vent, prior occupant said it leaked everytime it rained. Is there something I can purchase to put on the inside to stop the rain from leaking into the storage unit thru this

2. My turbine ventilator blew off. How do I reattach it? The shaft that it connects to does not have any threads so how was it previously attached? I looked on a ton of other websites and I have seen the internally attached and the externally attached. I do not think mine was externally attached because I don't remember seeing the metal brackets holding it up there. I am not sure if it was internally attached because the top of mine is has a small 1 inch opening with two little holes one either side. I am confused as to how it was attached previous to the giant wind storm we had. How can I fix this?

3. ...sorry cant help.

..there is a new to me static vent to replace noisy turbine vents. WheaterPro Turbo for 12"&14" base. Superior Air flow, no Maintenance.
    Made by Duraflow.
    Hase anyone used this type of static vent?

4. Just had to replace a turbine vent that was blown off roof during high winds. Cost paid to roofing company was $599.

5. I have a handyman install one, however the roof has quite a pitch and the vent is slanted at about 20-30 degree, not horizontal.
    Is that a problem?
    Thank you

6. What are the causes of these vent air turbines to slow down in their spinning during windy days? Out of 3 vents mounted on my roof, one spins normally while the other two are slow and sometimes don't spin at all. I have put WD-40 on the shaft and bearings and it spins fine, but after mounting it, it seems to behave as before, slow spin. Does mounting these vent fans exactly perpindicular to a horizontal plane make a difference?

• Gilbert,

I'd say the bearings are worn. Turbines are CHEAP. Look above and CLICK that image of one. Those are the BEST ONES Made in the USA. Just get a new one or two.

7. Hi Tim

I recently had 2 Whirlybird turbines installed on my newly shingled roof. One closer to the front and the other closer to the back of the roof. There are still 5 or 6 static vents in the roof as well.

I've heard that the turbines might disrupt the natural flow of the attic air because once they start spinning they will start to draw air in from the nearby static roof top vents rather than the air moving in naturally from the soffit vents.

Should I be concerned?

8. We just installed wind turbines and looking at them, I am wondering if we just created a bat problem. Can and do they enter those turbines ?

9. We had a metal turbine vent installed on a steel shipping container that we are using as storage. The vent is leaking water on to the floor. My husband wants to remove it because of the leak and I want to keep it because of the great air flow. Can you give suggestions as to why it would be leaking? Your help is very much appreciated!

10. Hi Tim,
    Two questions I have
    1) How do we calculate the size of turbine vent we needed for the a particular size of the attic based on certain wind speed. You gave two example of 5mph and 15mph but no formula.

2) Could you please explain in a more simplerer manner on this comment " The spinning BASE of the turbine vent should be level."

Any youtube clip you have or pictorial diagram stating the mechanics?

Am setting a new room in my house but the area was a vacant area where you can see the ground floor to second floor now after closing the area, the up stairs is much warmer and darker.

So am goign to put a vent fan (condenser motor based) with 295cfm in the "enterance " of my second house floor and another inside the new no opening room.

My thought is if you bring the hot/warm air inside the house esp on the second floor to the attic and use two 14" turbine to suck out the air then house will be cooler.

my house is 22*75 feet.

Kindly share your thought... am new to this so am picking up the terminologies and advices from various sources.

thank you