Skylights and Skylight Leaks

1. Kate Alexander

We live in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada, and have skylight leakage problems when it warms up above freezing during winter. I think the leakage is because large ice dams form below our skylights. We had the roof replaced 18 months ago and we complained to the contractor last year that it still leaked; he replaced the ice dam membranes under warranty, but this winter, same thing, ice dams, and leakage during a winter chinook. What should we do? Is adding the spray foam insulation as you describe above, the solution? I really don't think condensation is the issue - leaks actually come through the ceiling below the kitchen skylight; no condensation is visible and there is no leakage/dripping during sub-zero C weather)? However, maybe more insulation would help minimize the ice dams...?
    And I suppose we'll need to replace those membranes again?
    Thanks!

2. Jane Sheppard
    February 19, 2015

I have exactly the same problem as Kate. I have leaks happening right now and can't afford a repair contractor. I just hope my wood finish is not damaged too much!