Slate Flooring Installation and Sealing

1. liz

When we install slate and butt them without grouting do we seal them before installation or after? (I was told that the sides needs to be sealed so mildew will not occur). One more question, we have concrete underneath and there are expansion joints, my husband was concerned and the handyman suggested that the expansion joints be covered with grouting and the space beneath remains only a little reduced as opposed to be covered with the stones that will be butt (so I guess we will have large rectangles separated by the grout that covers the joints. Thank you for your time and courtesy reading question.

Liz,

Lots to discuss here. Very complex. You should consider one of my 15-Minute Phone consults.

2. hannah

Have you ever sealed with Waterlox, or do you know anything about how well this would work?

3. chuck

I use Quick Shine by Holloway House to seal slate. Cheap, non-toxic and works great!

4. Jessica
    February 19, 2016

Can you tile slate indoors without grout, pieces abutting each other? This was our plan for our fireplace hearth but then the store where we purchased it advised against it for the risk of cracking.