Solving Pocket Door Problems

1. Ray Bolanos
    June 13, 2012

Do pocket doors ever require lubrication? I am at my brother's home and noticed that a door that used to slide just fine, is tougher to slide than I remember last year. This bathroom door has about 6 years of service and is the busiest door of the 3 pocket doors he had "professionally" installed. The other 2 doors slide great, this 1 I'd like to fix for him and am wondering how to approach the situation.

Ray, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

2. Stanley Slovinsky
    November 14, 2012

I have an old house with 2 sets of double pocket doors. I can't adjust them because they do NOT have rollers. They are on some kind of pantograph system in their walls with heavy cast iron mounting plates. Where can I get info on these old doors that won't close correctly?
    Stan ; Jermyn PA 18433

Stan, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. Tom Miller
    February 18, 2013

Tim you said that a single wheeled rollers are inferior systems. I agree. Would it help to put 3 or 4 single wheeled rollers spaced evenly across the top of the door, rather than the 2 single wheeled rollers I have now?

February 24, 2013

Yes. But good luck doing that.

4. Stacy
    March 2, 2013

We have several pocket doors we installed but when the door opens it goes all the way into the wall making it hard to grab to pullit out to close. Is there anything we can do to keep the door out of the pocket a little?

Stacy,

Walter, this is what my 500-Second Consult is all about. Click the Shop icon at the top of the page!

5. Russell Tapaszi
    March 3, 2013

We have a pocket door that just sways in the breeze. At the bottom of the door aren't there supposed to be support wheels that guide the door straight? Or am I just missing something, thanks for your help.

Russell, Walter, this is what my 500-Second Consult is all about. Click the Shop icon at the top of the page!

6. Eric
    June 30, 2013

Hi Tim- My builder just finished installing double pocket doors in my home and he is now on to another job. My problem is that I just realized the doors, if not pulled out together to meet in the middle, will come out of the pocket completely and past the center point. Is there anything you can do to make sure each door stops at the midpoint?

thx
    e

7. hagan sewell

the back set of wheels came off the track,how do you get to them to put back o track.

With great difficulty. They'll come off again.....

8. Shelly Grabill
    October 9, 2013

When we walk across our bedroom floor, the wall that hold a pocket door creaks. Any ideas to get rid of the creaks?

Yes. Read my past columns on floor squeaks!

9. Larry Chapman
    November 23, 2014

My wife and I purchased a home a couple years back. The deed says it was built in 1890. She removed the trim from our pocket doors after I asked her not too while I was working. One side works just fine but the other will not close no . Its stuck open. The roller system is cast iron with 4 rollers for each hange . Each door has two hangers. I can see what looks like set screws I'm assuming to adjust the heigth. But what im confused about is how the rollers attachvto the door. They look to be slotted but I am unable to get them to stay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

November 23, 2014

I'd have to be there Larry..... Usually it's a common sense thing. Study it and study the way the parts interact. You'll figure it out.

10. Michael Raczynski
    March 11, 2016

My contractor hung a bathroom pocket door with a 1 1/2" clearance between the bottom of the door and the floor. Short of pulling off all the trim to remove the door is there any other way a piece can be added to the bottom of the door. Would like to keep noise inside the bathroom

11. Mike

I have a pocket door, about 10 years old, that naturally slides shut all the time without being pulled. Am I correct in thinking that the only real solution is to remove the door and remount the track so that it is level, or has a slight negative cant to help the door stay in the pocket?

12. Jack
    June 22, 2016

How do you adjust the slide on a pocket door? When I slide the door closed the door rubs the frame on scrapes the paint off one side of the door.