Stair Trim Molding

1. michael

To Whom It May Concern

How do you the get the angle's, to cut shoe molding on top of a stair stringer. I put carpet on the stringers and the staples are show.

2. Mike Laliberte
    February 18, 2014

I have installed chair rail though out my finished basement . And now I want to bring it up the stairs. I got the return up the stairs from the wall ( I went on line) , BUT now I am perplexed by the other smaller wall .
    The molding is 36" high at 42.0 degrees, but I must end it at a vertical wall that opens up to the basement. I want to cut it so it looks finished with and end trim. Thank You

3. John
    March 15, 2015

Do you have a video on how to do baseboard molding down a staircase. Im looking for when it meets the lading?

Thank you

4. Tom

I am placing a piece of baseboard on the exposed wall (texturized drywall) on the angle of an ascending staircase (tri level home) under the 1 x 4 (5"?) that supports the spindles. The right end will be open and should have a mitred return. The angle required to have the baseboard line up with the wall at the top of the stair case is approx 39 degrees.(Versus the 90 degree angle normally utilized for "flat" baseboard (or apron) returns.) I am unable to determine what the settings should be for cutting a return to match the angle the baseboard was cut at. Any reference, tutorial or advice/instruction of how to make a return for this piece of base would be appreciated. Thanks.

5. Alan

I assume you extend the piece of trim on the landing past the point by 3" because that it the height of the trim (base) you're using.

Thank you for this article. It has helped tremendously.