Tar Paper Facts and Tips

1. Churchie
    October 7, 2012

Hi Tim,
    We're new to your page but look forward to receiving your weekly newsletter and frequent return visits to your site. I'm writing on behalf of my retired parents (Churchie is my dad).
    This weekend they had their roof replaced after 18 years of use (25 year roof "warranty"), since the house was newly constructed. The original builder knowingly cut many corners while constructing their home, causing many problems for them over the years. This weekend they learned from the roofer that the renovation was more necessary than originally expected. They found out that tar paper was not installed under the shingles except for the front of the roof, just above the gutter, nowhere else. Cheap plywood was used in construction and ventilation was not installed. The wood was not replaced but all other issues have now been resolved. My parents are relieved but are concerned with what issues this corner cutting has created for them over the years. I have searched but cannot find a clear list of affects. Will there be a noticable difference in heating costs for example? We live in Nova Scotia, Canada where the four seasons truly apply.
    Thank you for creating this interactive website and sharing your knowledge and expertice with the world of concerned home owners.

Churchie, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

2. Bob Hughlette

We are replacing a hail damaged roof in San Antonio TX. About two weeks go our roofer put the materials on the roof for installation the following day. The next day rain was predicted so he said he would wait for better weather. The problem is that it hasn't stopped raining.
    My question is will the material (shingles, tar paper or mainly the tar paper) be affected by all this rain? It was not covered since the rain started.