Temporary Partition Wall

1. jack

Hi, this page is very helpful. However, I was wondering whether the same framing can be applied to metal studs? Or would metal studs not be as sturdy as wooden studs? Moreover, once the friction fit frame is set up, its it necessary to fasten the side studs onto permanent side walls? (not L shaped wall, but a partition wall between 2 walls). Thank you very much!

Jack, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

2. Matt Raney
    December 13, 2012

Dear Tim,

My wife and I are expecting are first child and need to either find or make a 2 bedroom apartment.

We have a spacious apartment in downtown Seattle and love our current location. We are also getting an amazing deal on rent. A two bedrooms apartment in a vintage building around here (that also allows dogs) can be pretty pricey; and finances are definitely a concern with a newborn on the way. I've thought about creating a room with a 3 temporary walls in a "U" shape with the two ends being screwed into the studs of a large existing wall.

My concerns are:
    Knowing that this will be a nursery, will these walls be safe/sturdy enough without screwing the bottom plate into the 100+ year-old hardwood floors? And would it be possible (or even advised) to install a pocket door to save space, time, and resources?

Thanks for the help!

Matt, you should consider investing in a 15-Minute Consult with me. Look at my cart for that. Lot's to discuss. I just do short pithy answers here.

3. jen

I see that the original question/post came from Lafayette, CA, and I'm in this area as well.

There seem to be a lot of prefab/temporary wall options in the NYC/Manhatten area--but I can't find anyone in the SF Bay area/East Bay to do this.

Tim, are you by any chance located here??? Do you tackle projects like this personally?

-Jen

Jen, I'm in NH. I do phone consulting and people frequently send me photos / videos to look at before the consult. You can purchase a phone consult by clicking the SHOP icon at the top of any page.

4. Veronica Reddick

Great advice, I run a small business out of my house where two dogs and two cats call it home. Because I need to create a clean space this will be perfect to create a room of my own in our dining room that is VERY long.

5. Miles

instead of drywall, could you use some other kind of wall panel made from wood or plastic?

6. Amy Wallace

Hi, I am trying to convert my garage into an office and a dressing room with a small budget and by myself. Can you tell me the pros and cons of adding a partition wall in front of the garage door vs. insulating the garage door itself? I don't need the wall for any purpose other than insulation. Thanks! Amy