Tile Grout Sealing / Caulking

1. valarie
    June 16, 2013

I regrouted my mom's tub with a sanded silicone. Does this still need to be sealed? Also I'm redoing a few tiles in the window that were crooked. Should I use regualr silicone for this? I am a total amature , but we can't afford a tile guy. HELP!

2. Lisa
    October 12, 2013

How long must grout dry before you can walk on the tile?

3. Barbara Gomez
    March 12, 2014

I have used your Stain Solver to clean the grout in my kitchen. What can I use to Seal the tile and grout?

March 12, 2014

I do NOT recommend sealing grout after cleaning it. The sealers can make it HARD to clean the grout if a liquid like red wine or grease seeps UNDER the sealer. That can happen along the edges of the grout/tile interface. Just keep Stain Solver on hand and clean the grout once a month. Don't let it get away from you and it will be EASY.

• Barbara Gomez
        March 13, 2014

Thank you Tim for your advice. I love your stain solver.

• Barbara Gomez
        March 18, 2014

What is the best steam cleaner to clean grout after applying Stain Solver. I have been mixing Stain Solver with water and getting on my knees to clean the grout. I need a light weight Steam Cleaner so that I do not have to keep bending.

4. Branden
    February 16, 2015

I just re-grouted my shower with non-sanded grout (small joints). I will let the grout cure for two or three days before applying a silicone based sealer. Should I caulk the horizontal floor joint (where the tile meets the shower floor) before or after I apply the sealer?

5. Jason

Hey Tim,
    You are 100% right when you say that sealing is a must in these situations. Unfortunately, people do not have understanding for that every time. I also agree that silicone grout sealing is the best for the bathroom. Great post!

I'm updating this post now. I've changed my stance on grout sealing. Most of them block cleaning solutions in case a stain seeps into grout along the grout / tile interface.

6. Susan

I have a recently built home. The colored caulk in the master shower where the floor meets tile has been getting moldy. I use a daily spray cleaner but it does not seem to help. Any suggestions?

Susan,

I'd try my Stain Solver Certified organic Oxygen Bleach cleaner. If you look at the Before and After photo section, there are many examples of where it's done a great job of cleaning caulk and grout.

7. Susan
    June 23, 2015

Tim, we just tiled our very small bathroom...ready to seal the grout. We have tile only on the floor, it's off the bedroom, you say don't seal the grout, but I'm wondering about the wet feet from the shower,not that we won't be using a bath mat,wouldn't it give a little extra protection to the floor if you seal the grout? Just wondering before we go ahead with this, yes or no to grout.

June 24, 2015

I think you're making a HUGE mistake not using a bath mat. Someone's going to fall. Read the RED type above again.

Small amounts of water on a tile floor do not pass through the grout and cause the subfloor to rot if it's wood.

8. April

Thank you for this helpful post, Tim. Would you also recommend making sure that there is no grout at the seam where tile meets a window sill, and just caulking with a 100% silicone caulk? I have been curious about this as when I went to recaulk my tub, I noticed that the builder grouted the area where tile meets the tub and then caulked over the grout, and also just grouted where the tile meets the window sill in both kitchen and bathroom, and now the grout is failing. It seems like using caulk in these areas would make more sense since two different materials meet, and caulk more give you some flex.

9. Lindsay J
    October 5, 2015

We completely redid our bathroom this summer with a fiberglass tub and tiled shower walls. Today we noticed some sandy grit (assuming it is grout) seeping out from underneath the silicone where the back of the tub meets the tile line. I belive there is grout on the tub line, behind the silicone seal: should we scrap it all out then seal it back up with silicone/caulking?