Tipping Etiquette for a Builder

1. Saad
    November 30, 2012

If the job is good, I will generally tip 2%. I know this is a small amount, but I will also make sure he is very comfortable while working at my home. My wife will make sure he has drinks or food he needs as well as give him recommendations after the job is finished.

2. garen B
    December 15, 2014

been a builder for 41 years, I've never seen or heard of anyone tipping any contractor ever. I have finished dozens of small and huge projects ahead of schedule and under budget and rarely got a thank you. It's all about the $.
    Bend, Oregon

December 17, 2014

Well, you're communicating with one! I've been tipped numerous times. Perhaps the best was a couple that took me and my helper to dinner on the fanciest floating steakhouse in Cincinnati, OH. What a night that was!

3. susan
    December 18, 2016

3 men are installing a porcelain floor for me. For 3 days, we bought donuts for them to enjoy as well as a $10 Starbucks giftcard and $10 each for lunch. I don't feel tipping them along with these treats is necessary. Any thoughts?

December 19, 2016

I hope you're not paying them on a time and material basis. If so, you'll NEVER see them go home. You should NEVER tip a contractor or treat him every day like you describe. I'd only give a tip at the end of the job for service and quality that EXCEEDS expectations.