Trex Decking Problems and Mushrooms

1. Paul

This issue was written up in a scientific journal 14 years ago. Morris and Cooper 1998. Recycled plastic/wood composite lumber attacked by fungi. Forest Products Journal Vol 46 No. 1 pages 86 to 88
    The name of the product was carefuly not mentioned but the description was so accurate that the manufacturer became aware of the problem. They claimed it was surface mold but it was definitely wood-rotting fungi.

2. diane

Lots of luck locating your deck further above the ground for more ventilation. Our deck is 8 ft high and has fungus all over the bottom of the trex boards and on top as well.

3. Dahlia

So how can I clean the mushrooms in the grooves of my composite deck without damaging the deck further, or ruining the color? Any thoughts? Is there a fungicide out there that is safe for the composite deck?

Thanks.

You have to stop the water issue to stop the mushrooms. It's that simple, or not!

4. Susie

We put in a Trex deck in 2000. We live in a dry climate, yet there is tons of fungus growing on the underside of the deck. When the builder installed the deck, he placed the boards tightly together so there is no drainage between them. Will it damage our deck if we drill tiny holes between the boards at periodic intervals to provide drainage?

Holes will not help. You need more air and at least 18-24 inches of space under the decking.