Truss Uplift and Ceiling Cracks

1. Joanna
    March 9, 2013

We're having problems with truss uplift but it seems to have taken over our entire home. I'm worried it's beyond repair at this point. Our home is 3 years old and we have had truss uplift that was exacerbated by a poorly ventilated attic. We have fixed the attic issue but now we're dealing with floorboards on both floors that pop loudly when stepped on, nail pops that go across walls an ceilings that come right back out after they're fixed, and water piping having come loose from the walls they're affixed to. I feel like our home is falling apart. We can also see the outline of floor joists/ drywall on the ceilings but I'm not sure I that's related. Any advice?

Joanna, Walter, this is what my 500-Second Consult is all about. Click the Shop icon at the top of the page!

2. Steve V

Is it possible to have rafter uplifting with old style rafters? Mine are just triangular with one horizontal brace about three or four feet down from the peak. The roof line members and that horizontal brace connecting them are exposed to outside temperatures, while the main horizontal member is entirely covered by about R-44 in insulation.

3. Carlos
    February 20, 2016

The house is about 6 months old.It started with small cracks then ceiling like a bulging . They repair it . Now they replaceing more than half house ceilings n to place more wood studs n joist. I think it's a strut ire failure on the builder. I'm looking to go to court n sue. What's your opinion. Thank you.