Tunneling Under Sidewalks and Driveways

1. RANDY

I have a home in Mich. woodchucks burrowed a tunnel underneath concrete drive right outside garage.Assuming if it goes a the way across to other side,how can I best fill this end so no infiltration of water etc thru winter? I thought of some kind of gophergoo.com or pvc pipe and plug it.Sand is they only other cheap way to fill that I know of. Any suggestions? Thank you very much for responding!

2. Jon C.
    November 14, 2012

Hello,

This is some interesting information. I'm wondering if I could do it to make a tunnel for an egress window drainage system. I have no experience in this stuff, but what people tell me is to use a drain tile to carry the water away from the house. I've been trying to think of ways to do that without digging a trench because it would have to be about 5 feet deep and that's too much work. The problem I think I'll run into with this method is that the egress well is only about 3 feet wide, which would only allow me to use 3 feet of pipe for the drilling method. I don't know if that would be a sufficient length to install the tile. Could you offer any suggestions? Do I even need to use drain tile or is there something else I can do.

Thanks!
    Jon

Jon, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. Zachary Hinski
    December 3, 2012

Okay, my mom is home owners of a neighborhood. We don't have much money or income. And we need to replace electrical wiring under ground due to a mistake by verizon, they cut the line and they are not replacing it, because there is no evidence that they did it. The problem is how can we get under the road without stopping people from getting into and out of the neighborhood without being to expensive. Like cheap. If you can figure this situation out, then please email me at

zacharyhinski@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Zachary HInski

I wish verizon would just take ownership of making a mistake but, there not, so yeah we need an answer, because we can only have half of the front entrance lit up.

Zach, your question(s) require lots of typing and I have some questions for you. You should consider investing in a 15-Minute Consult with me. Look at my cart for that. Lot's to discuss. I just do short pithy answers here.

4. Gale

Is it possible to tunnel under a sidewalk made with pavers that are on compacted gravel over a sandy soil (Florida). The pavers are held in place with cement that was placed along the entire edge of the sidewalk. The walk is about 3' wide. I need to get a drain pipe underneath. Thanks for your help.

February 27, 2014

Yes, it's possible.

5. Ed Prete

Had a question about the chisel method above. It appears the plumber drove the pipe under the sidewalk/patio from the basement being the origin. Is that method also acceptable for electrical feeds between two structures?

As for electrical, you follow the NEC. It's that simple.....

6. Ed Prete

Unfortunately NEC says nothing affirming or denying the exit below grade method.

7. Pete Sham
    October 17, 2015

Hi, I have a plastic gas pipe (poly) which I want to put under my driveway. Do you think the pipe over time will get a lot of stress? Should I use other type of pipes or is it going to work with the astm d2513

8. Luke Smith

I can imagine that having to be detoured because of construction would be a pain. I can see how boring under the road, or sidewalk is better and causes fewer delays. Would need to find a professional that knows how to do it, and do it right.