Water Damaged Drywall

1. Gail Rutherford
    March 4, 2014

Would like newsletter
    Thanks
    Gail

March 6, 2014

Gail, Great! Sign up on any page, and be sure to click the Confirmation link I send out!

2. Katie

Hi,
    I've just noticed something in my loft. It's definitely water damage. I don't know how long it's been there, and there looks to be something growing but it's solid and I did the poke test and just the paint chips off but the drywall is solid. Should I just scrape the paint off and re-paint or should I cut out of the drywall? I have pictures if you could please help me.

Katie,

You may have to do a 15-Minute Phone consult with me. Too much to discuss in comments.

3. Al

hello,
    we had a bubble in our dining room and we think the cause is the upstairs laundry as it is right above the damage. I popped the bubble and ran the machine (with no clothes) and didn't notice a leak. Do you think it is safe to repair the drywall or should i try to find the source of the leak?

Find the source of the leak. It could have been a one-time overflow!

4. peggy
    February 5, 2015

I was wondering what does it mean when the nails under the drywall are black and you can see the boards they are nailed to also, those are also black. They go from the ceiling to the floor. I live in an apt/townhouse and our basement floods every spring from the melting snow. There is no neighbor on this wall so I'm wondering if it could be water or mold.

5. Bob
    February 13, 2015

Ice and snow build up has caused a pretty bad water leak above the hot water tank and has soaked through and dripping into a bucket. I've removed the ice and snow, the water has stopped dripping, will it dry and be alright? If not what do you suggest I do?

6. Stephanie Smith

water damage can cause so much trouble if not taken care of right away. You made a very good point in that a lot of damage can come from what you think is a small leak. It's always better to be safe than sorry and repair it, especially if you don't want the ceiling to collapse on you if it goes untreated! Thanks for the informative post.

7. Michael

I live in the desert, is mold possible from a one-time overflow? My ceiling drywall in my downstairs bathroom got wet from the upstairs toilet overflowing. I'm inspecting the ceiling drywall to make sure it doesn't need to be repaired, so far, the only soft spot is around an A/C duct where the water came through.

8. Amy
    June 5, 2015

We recently had water damage from the second floor into the ceiling of the main floor. The dry wall ceiling feels just as hard as it always had but the nail pops that have been plaging the house since it was built a year ago are more noticeable. You can also see where they used tape to connect the pieces of drywall. Is it possible that the entire ceiling needs to be replaced? The contractor refused to fix the nail pops.

9. Aaron
    June 16, 2015

We live in an apartment complex and the wall in our bathroom above the sink and light fixture is soggy to the point where I can peel it off.

This continues up to where the wall meets the celing where I notice a slight soggy-ness but not as serious as the wall. We are on the 2nd floor with another apartment above us.

Really want to guage then savarity of the situation. I have a day off in a couple of days where I can be home to call the apartment to fix it, just hoping I can wait that long. We notice a dripping sound when the apartment above us is using their bathroom so we at least have an idea of where it's coming from

10. Lisa

Last week, we had our roof replaced. The workers removed the entire roof, thus the Alabama rains came, and they came in full force. Part of our upstairs bathroom collapsed. The upstairs bedrooms' ceiling a almost full of water stains, but are still intact. Several large water stain are also on the lower level. The company partially replaced the upstairs bath ceiling, but not the bubbled spots. They want to prime and paint the remaining stains. The attic insulation is also drenched. I am concerned about mold and the future integrity of the ceilings throughout the house that have been damaged. The company is dragging its feet. My son has asthma and is high allergic to mold. There is no carpet in the house ~ all hardwood ~ because of his asthma. Please direct me to what we should so. There is no sense of urgency at the company. There are repeated no-shows and passing the buck. Can you proved some direction for us? Many thanks!

Simple.

ALL rain-damaged materials get replaced. You DID, as I suggest in many past columns here, get a COPY of the contractors general liability policy BEFORE he started work, right?

You DID ALREADY call the insurance company to file a claim haven't you?

Tell me you're not HOPING all goes well.

I'm sorry to be so tough, but I just don't understand why people are so trusting.

11. RobertMatheka

Water damage is water damage, but the first point before embarking on water damage repair is to make sure that the source of the problem has been repaired properly.Thanks for great posting.

12. Cortny Plott

Tim Carter my aparent just recently had a horrible leak through the attic from the roof. I had buckets in 4 spots and there's streaks going across my ceiling. My landlord does not think this is a big deal, however i just pushed on my ceiling like you had said and can almost push right through it, it's very soggy. All they want to do is repaint. I also had water coming out of the top trim in a doorway.. I am trying to get help for i have a one year old son. I am frightened to go to sleep in fear that the ceiling will collapse.. it is all right above our bed. Management told me to sleep in another room.. Should i take legal advice..? Please help me...

13. RobertMatheka

Great article you have presented here.I liked your tips that are really informative.There are some things you can do to combat water damage. Just make sure you act quickly! Letting walls stay wet for more than a day or two can mean having to start over with just the structural wood and studs, discarding all of your wet drywall. Your best bet for reducing water damage is to allow air in from outside. Air circulation will help to make your walls dry faster than they would on their own.Good share.

14. Stacy Dodson
    October 3, 2015

Our roof recently had a leak. There was a short narrow strip of a stain but no actual water dripped through. The roof was repaired and now the stain seems to be two toned which leads me to believe only the darkest area may still be wet.-- I'll have to get a ladder and test it soon since the ceiling is over 9' at the apex in our bedroom.-- where there used to be 3 small bubbles now there's what looks like Brail . Do you think this job will require someone to crawl through the attic and check for extensive wetness that could turn to mold and cut out the ceiling? do you think it can be patched up and repaired by a painter?

15. Teri Smithe
    October 3, 2015

I was on vacation for a month only to come home to a huge leak in my roof from the (chimney mortar?) There is mold already in a 2' X 2' circle and some of the popcorn has dropped. The problem is, the roof repair guys can't come over and seal the mortar until it stops raining, and Joaquin has started. I have a fan blowing on the ceiling trying to keep it dry as much as possible. Stupid question, but is this the right thing to do? I've heard that mold is dangerous, but I can't just let it keep getting wet. Also, it's right above my bed, so I moved the bed a little to get the fan closer on a ladder. Yea, I know I'm supposed to replace the drywall after I get the leak fixed, but until then, any suggestions?? I hope you answer this fast, because I'm scared to sleep in there now after reading stuff on the internet. Thanks!

16. Sarah
    December 23, 2015

I live in a house that was converted into three apartments. When I first moved in the ceiling in my bedroom caved in due to water , the landlord said it was from the the upstairs neighbors kid spilling water everywhere in her bathroom. I didn't really believe that as the leak was four to five feet from where her bathroom is. Currently my downstairs neighbors have the same issue in her bathroom which is below mine. Landlord says the same thing that my kids are spilling water out but no one had any water on the floor. What can I do or who can I call to look at it? What can cuase this , seems to happen when it rains a lot?

17. Harrison
    March 14, 2016

My apt above (where the door meets the terrace) had a leak before and it took owner 6 months to be convinced that it was his problem. My ceiling was damaged and had to be taken out and put a new one.

Again there was a leak and I was told that he fixed the same issue again. However my tenant tells me there was lot of water damage and ceiling at lot of places look bad. It seems to be triple sheet rock since last time the guy had trouble cutting the old ceiling. Does this mean the water damage had been going for months and the ceiling inside is damaged? Do I need to replace the whole ceiling again.

18. Janis Holloway

We recently had our roof replaced. The roofers did not cover it at day end. Lots of rain that night. Water damage is obvious where seems are on ceiling. Insulation in ceiling was soaked. They removed a lot but not all. They are willing to come in and repair water damage cosmetically. My concern is mold. The colmpany is willing to do whatever we ask. We are unsure of steps that need to be taken in the attic to prevent future mold or mold Could mold already be growing. The health of our family is my biggest concern. We have a granddaughter with Leukemia that I care for in our home. Your advice is appreciated. Thank you!

19. Ted dorscher

How long does drywall take to dry out?

20. Joyce Moss

I recently had my roof replaced. The roofers got caught in the rain with the rafter out allowing water to damage upper and lower ceilings and walls. Insulation in ceiling was not checked. Two days later they painted the water damage stains using kiltz to repair cosmetically. My concern is mold. I am unsure of steps that need to be taken in the attic to prevent future mold. One ceiling was really dark but they painted over it. I have bad allergys and is high concern for my health. Your advice is appreciated. Thank you!

21. Robin

We had a water heater that leaked and now joists under house are soaked. This is our little vacay place, built in 1947, 800 square feet. We don't get to go as much as we'd like but we're lucky in the sense that my husband did go on a particular weekend and discovered the leak and the inch of water in part of the house. He placed a dehumidifier under the sweet ole place but we're extremely worried, yes worried, since the joists and much more are water damaged. We had a new water heater installed. We were there this Labor day weekend and I heard a hissing sound from under the house. Hubuy checked it out; a pretty good sized leak spewing water. We called the plumber and he fixed it is hope. We are going to call a plumber again. But the question is, after all this, is what should we do about the soaked floor joists under the house? Any advice is extremely appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

22. nichola Hogarth

Hi, I am a private tenant who suffered a unfortunate loo leak that went through the ceiling, my landlady says without checking ceilings or anything else that the dry wall needs replacing. I have had fans on the ceilings and it has been properly ventilated overnight and I have checked the ceiling to the touch and it is still rock solid. I believe she will still charge me for work that may not even need doing.