Water in Heating Ducts

1. Naomi MacQueen

I am having a serious problem with this same issue. We have pumped over 2300 gallons out of our floor vents. How will this trench prevent water from draining down to the weeping tile which is higher then vents. Our house is the lowest point of our yard and we don't have a way to flow water away since it travels back to the foundation. We have a bungalow style home with a walkout basement and the whole yard is 4 feet above That??? Please we are desperate

Naomi, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me.

2. Ron

Tim, I had this problem too. A combo of foundation sealer (ThoroSeal, their best stuff in a green bag applied 2x, and I used their liquid chemical additive for best results) and replacing the drain tile outside the house (gravel surrounding it was nearly 100% plugged up is what I found out) seems to have finally fixed it. I knew where the water was coming in (roughly) so that helped a bit. There is a company that will seal the duct work from the inside, they may just be local to me but FWIW there may be others out there, and they may be cheaper than relocating the duct work to the attic if their process actually works. The before and after picture on their site look pretty good.

On to my current problem: Not only is my duct work in the slab, but the builders routed the heat from the duct work to where the water lines enter near the bathtub to keep the lines from freezing, since the bathroom is along an outside wall. The problem is that heat rises up and melts the winter snow on the roof for the recess / wall cavity the bathtub is in at the very front of the house (more in a bit). The condensation that forms on the interior of the roof then drips down the inside front of the exterior clapboard. It is not a huge problem, but if we have a heavy snow winter, it can lead to water damage because it has been doing this for 20 years now (I never really understood the problem until about a year or 2 ago, and initially thought it was simply a roof leak (new roof done 7 years ago), and for the first 5 years didn't know I even had a problem).

Can you think of any way to keep that heat from rising up ? I have a few ideas but won't bounce those off of you as to not bias you. I do need much more attic insulation, but the heat itself travel up the uninsulated stud spaces along the exterior wall.

thx ... Ron

3. Ann

Hi, our pipes were almost frozen this morning so I turned on the bathtub at a trickle placed a bucket in there to catch the water for toilets. We went to church. Hours later the bathtub was over flown and water was running down my heater vent. Ever since the other side of the house the vents are blowing cold air instead of warm. It's below 20s out side. How do we get rid of the water? Do you think it's frozen? There is a crawl space. Who do we call or can we do this ourselves. It's a manufactured home we are renting.

Ann, you call the owner first. Then you call a heating serviceman to get heat going again. You tell the owner he's got to do what's necessary so that the pipes don't freeze. NEVER leave a house with water running. What a mistake that was, but I'm sure you realize that now.

4. Zeke Wilde
    February 6, 2013

Hi, our plumbing was backed up and water ran over from toilets and filled heat ducts in both bathrooms in mobile home. No heat comes out from either vent now? What should we do? Thanks

February 24, 2013

Empty them and sanitize.

5. Kera
    February 13, 2013

I closed on my home november 2012. Recently I began noticing my home smelled like stale water and that several of the walls has substantial condensation, and just about all the windows in my home are heavily condensated.
    I am in the process of having the roof replaced even though my provate home inspector said the roof was oaky and should last me about 5+ years......the roofing company went around the enitre house and the city inspector yesterday they told me they believe that there may be water in the ducts of my home, which is on a slab. where do I begin with this....who do I call to verify this? By the way I live in Michigan.

February 24, 2013

Stick a wet-dry vac hose down the ducts. Turn it on. See what you get out.

6. Katie

My friend has a serious water issue in her rented home. I walk in and it feels damp. She knows she's had a problem with water problems in her vents before but I think the owner just sweet talks them too much and she thinks its ok. I was In her room tonight and heard water bubbling and making a lot of noise in her floor vents. What do I do or tell her?!

7. dbrecheisen

I live in a pre fab home and I noticed standing water in my bathroom vent and some in my kitchen vent. I grabbed the shopvac and sucked out a bucket and a half of water from one of the vents. The air had been on for two months straight and my husband is insisting it's condensation. Is that possible. I am very worried about mold I have a child very allergic to it and in my opinion is showing signs of allergies that could be from this. Please tell me if this is normal and how I can fix it. I cleaned them with bleach but only what I could reach . Thanks

It is not normal. Plumbing vent pipes are supposed to be tilted so any condensation runs eventually to the sewer or septic line.

8. Sheila
    November 3, 2014

My house is on a concrete slab and lately when it rains, I hear water rushing under the heater vents, but the vents are dry inside. It's starting to make me crazy. What can I do?

November 3, 2014

Make sure all downspout water from your roof is piped far away from your home. Be sure NO drainage water is flowing towards your home. Capture it and REDIVERT it with one of my Linear French Drains. Get my Linear French Drain DVD!

9. April
    March 12, 2015

I live in a trailer and recently only one of my vents from my heat pump keeps getting water in it. We used a shop vac and sucked out a lot of water but it keeps coming back. You can hear the water dripping into the vent even when the heat pump is not running. What do I need to do to fix this? Please help!!

10. Jackie

I got a washer earlier and the water rods weren't connected after the washer was placed. I happened to turn the washer on unknowing about the rods and water ran all over the floor for about 5 minutes into my floor air vent. Will this cause any major problems?

11. Loretta

Tim, I have a house that was built in the 1900s. Last year it seems an artesian well opened up in the basement and now I have continuous running water in my basement. I had to call the fire department and my insurance company only gave me $1500 to fix the problem. I had several contractors in to look at it and none of them had seen that much water. One installed a sub pump and I burned up a few motors because of all the water. Now I have 2 large pumps that run continuously and Jack my electric bill way up. What do you suggest I do? I need to prepare my house to sell, but I can't sell it in this condition. My father told me to just let the bank take it, but I don't want to file bancruptcy.

12. Lorna

My boyfriend and his family is living in a old trailer everything sounds similar than everybodies problems with water in their floor vent. I'm worried for them. They need a perfessional to come & check it out, the only problem their finance ain't good. What can I do to help them?

13. rimsha
    December 12, 2015

Tim im glad that you respond to the people very quickly! My problem is that we moved in 2 years ago into a house that is buitk for 20-30 yrs. And the heating vents have water in them, it flooded tye whole laundry room. I put the dryer in the vent to dry out the water but the whole vebt was dried out except water was still running. I dont know if there is a pipe that cracked or some other problem. There is not a lot of soil in our area. I am really stressed abd desperate. Pls help. Thank you!

14. aref
    February 6, 2016

my house build on 2005 i start notice water drip from air duckt defuser (air supply) at the lining room and master bath what could be happend

15. Jerri
    March 10, 2016

I am currently renting a single story home built in 1962. There is a hill in the backyard and we have been experiencing heavy rains the last few days. I noticed the home has been smelling more "moldy" but last night I heard water sloshing all through-out the house once the heater kicked on and finally after searching frantically I looked down in the floor vent and it was at least 3 to 4 inches of water. After contacting maintenance they said they wouldn't be able to get out until the rain subsides which won't be for another 3 whole days!!! That can't be good, right?! I am really concerned about mold. I have 3 kids and would hate to have to pack up and move. He also said it wouldn't be worth it to use a dry-vac because it would just fill right back up !!!

16. Sher

I have water dripping down from all my ac/heat vents. I live in an apt and my vents are right below the ceiling. Is it possible for there to be holes in the duct work?

17. Bryan
    October 16, 2016

The drain hose from my washer came loose and water drained into the forced air vents, is there a drainage system in a typical forced air vents that would prevent standing water from staying in the vent?