Why Wall Tiles Fall Off Walls

1. Lloyd May
    October 31, 2013

Thank you Tim for your detailed diagnosis. It great to have a professional confirm what we suspected.

2. Sally
    November 6, 2013

Funny you didn't mention one of the most important things about tiling. The base or wall material. Per building code now you need cement board as your wall surface, not green board.

Well, I stay away from mentioning the building code for a reason. What am I supposed to do in three years when it changes again? You'd have to have a full-time employee updating thousands of pages on the website to keep up with that nightmare.

3. Abi

We are having the exact same problem, but the tiles fall at random into our tub. We have stopped using it due to safety reasons- is there a good way to check each tile for adhesion issues?? Thank you!!

Yes. Try to pull it off the wall. If one is falling or two, you know you've got an issue. Go into a house built in 1936 and you can't get a tile off a wall in one piece with a hammer and chisel! That's the gold standard. Those tiles were set in solid cement mortar.