Cold Air Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Cold Air Bath Exhaust Fan TIPS

David Teal lives in Woodville, Ohio.

He has a problem that many people have. Let him tell you:

"A few weeks ago you had a article that discussed sealing and insulating a house. You failed to mention holes in the ceiling. I have five holes in my ceiling for vent fans. 

The flaps inside the fans don't work well at all. When the wind blows the bathrooms are freezing!  Is there something I can do besides taping over the vent holes?"

CLICK HERE to get FREE & FAST BIDS from local handymen that can install the vent hood and foam the pipe.

Here's my answer to David:

Thanks for reading my syndicated newspaper column. As you might suspect, the newspapers limit the number of words I can put in a column. As such, it becomes impossible to discuss each and every aspect of a problem. I usually have to deal with a thin slice of the problem.

The dampers in just about every exhaust fan I've seen are virtually worthless. I believe they're meant to stop animals from getting back into the rooms of homes, not air.

I'd recommend you install a flapper cap that has a double seal.

This is the vent cap that goes on the outside wall of your home to STOP all cold air from getting into your bathroom exhaust fan. CLICK THE IMAGE to order it now.

I used the product below at my own home last year and love how well they seal. I've completely stopped all the cold air from coming into my bathroom using this product. CLICK HERE to buy it.

Seal the Pipe

You also need to make sure the seams on the smooth metal exhaust pipe are sealed AND the pipe is insulated. The best way I've found to do this is spray the outside of the pipe with spray-foam insulation. Clean the mill oil off the pipe first with soap and water. Use this foam:

I've used this product for years. It's got the right name, that's for sure. Wear old clothes when using it. CLICK THE IMAGE NOW TO ORDER IT.

8 Responses to Cold Air Bathroom Exhaust Fan

1. Very interesting! Is there a similar product made for stove vents? Ours vents the exterior of the house, and we have a significant amount of cold air that "falls down" from this area. Thanks!

• I don't know how long a vent cap like this would work for a stove. The issue with stove exhaust is the vaporize grease in the air. It would condense on the inner flapper and at some point I would think it would not function correctly. You don't have this issue with bathroom exhaust air.

• I have MANY squirrels hanging out in my yard and both are where they could come up and touch the vents. No issues at all. A small animal would have to have the intelligence of a velociraptor to be able to open *both* doors. Buy one NOW by using my links above.

2. I'm going to order several, try one on my house, and if it works can sell a bunch. Wish I had known about this a year ago when I was trying to solve a cold air intake problem.