Cover AC Unit in Winter

cover ac unit in winter

Cover AC Unit in Winter | Do your neighbors cover their AC unit? Should you? Is there a danger if it is covered? Copyright 2019 Tim Carter

"When you opened up and read the owners manual about this, what was the manufacturer's recommendation?”

Cover AC Unit in Winter - Simple Question - Not-so-Simple Answer

QUESTION: Tim, I want your opinion. Is it a good idea to cover my AC unit in winter? Joseph D., Pingree Grove, IL

This is a question that Joe submitted to the Ask Tim page on my website while his AC unit was working hard in the first few weeks of July. He was looking ahead, and that’s a very good idea. It’s a very valid question that I receive quite often. It’s also part of a deeply disturbing trend I’m witnessing.

Here’s how I answered Joe, “When you opened up and read the owners manual about this, what was the manufacturer's recommendation?”

Does my answer make sense to you? After all, Joe wanted my opinion.

Joe and I had another brief exchange and my last message to him was, “My opinion doesn’t matter. I don’t support the warranty. There’s only one source for the correct answer - the manufacturer.”

If It's Important to Cover, It Would Be in the Owners Manual

Have you read many owners manuals? If it's really important to do something to keep the warranty in force or to make sure the product performs well, you'll see text telling you what you should do.

Changing oil and air filters in cars and trucks is a good example. You see this in manuals.

If the AC unit should be covered in the winter, the manufacturer will say so in the manual.

All of your questions about what to do with a product, how to care for the product, how to install the product, etc. should be answered by the company that made the product. Start taking the time to read the full label on products. Invest the time to read an owners manual. It will pay off in spades.

It’s foolhardy on your part to follow the advice of some invisible person online that will never come to your home to install a new product when their advice falls flat.