Deck Material List
Bruce Helm plans to build a deck at his home in Louisville, Kentucky, but he's got a problem or two. He needs a material list and he's never built a deck before. There's an old saying, "You don't know what you don't know." Here's Bruce's request:
"I am building a deck on the front of my mobile home and am using all pretreated lumber.
What I need is a material list. The deck I am building is 10 x 14 feet.
I know I need 4x4 post, but not sure what size board to use for header and what's best to use for the decking. This is my first time building a deck."
Here's my Cliffs Notes response, because books have been written about this topic.
Bruce, you need more than a material list.
You need to read ALL of my past columns in my Deck Construction category.
That will give you a good start.
I can't give you a precise list because I don't know how high the deck will be off the ground.
I'd also not use 4x4 posts. I prefer to use 6x6s and make a notch that supports the beams that hold up the deck joists.
But here's a starter list that will get you going. This list is NOT complete, but it will get you a deck up off the ground, that's for sure:
- 6 - 6x6x6 deck support posts
- 6 - Simpson Strong-Tie 6x6 post / pier bases
- 4 - 2x10x14 support beams
- 12 - 8-inch x 1/2-inch carriage bolts with washers and nuts
- 12 - 2x10 joists
- 32 - 5/4 x 4 x 14 decking
- 24 - 2x10 Simpson Strong-Tie single joist hangers
- 2 boxes Simpson Strong-Tie joist-hanger nails
- 5 pounds 3-inch ring-shanked hot dipped galvanized common nails
- Probably 10 pounds of hot dipped galvanized ring-shanked 10d decking nails
- Steps material
- Railing material
- 4 gallons of BEST synthetic-resin pigmented water repellent deck sealant
You'll have to figure out your railing and steps yourself because I have no clue what you want for those. Your railing design dictates that.
If you want to discover how to build the BEST STEPS to get up and down your deck, you'll want my Deck Simple Stairs eBook.
Good luck! Once you're finished, send me a photo and remind me about this question and answer. I'd love to put your photo right here!