Entry Ice Melt

Entry Ice Melt

Entry Ice Melt | This is standard rock salt. Too much has been applied. It's better to use the smaller pellets instead of the coarse crystals as you see in the photo should you want to minimize tracking into a house or business. Copyright 2018 Tim Carter

"I hope you're sitting down as Entry Ice Melt is 37.5 times more expensive to use than rock salt."

Entry Ice Melt is an expensive liquid non-chloride deicing product.

Entry Ice Melt - Expensive Solution

I was made aware of the Entry Ice Melt by a press release sent to me championing all its wonderful benefits. My job is to do a real-life comparison between it and other deicing products.

Related Links

Does Deicing Salt Hurt Concrete?

Concrete Contractors Primary Source of Concrete Damage by Salt

Entry Ice Melt Application Video

Watch this video to see how to apply Entry:

Does Entry Work Like Rock Salt?

Yes, Entry works just like rock salt. Entry is a liquid you spray on pavement or steps after you shovel the snow away. It melts ice and snow in normal cold temperatures just as does rock salt.

What Does Entry Cost?

I priced out a gallon of Entry at Amazon.com and it was $40 per gallon in November, 2018. CLICK HERE to see the current price of Entry. The Entry website says to apply it at the rate of 3/4 gallon per 1,000 square feet. This computes to a cost of 3 cents per square foot.

What Does Rock Salt Cost?

I priced rock salt out at the Aubuchon Hardware website the same hour as I priced the Entry. A 50-pound bag of sodium chloride pellets was $7.99.

How Much Rock Salt Should Be Put Down?

The Salt Institute refers to a white paper that recommends that you only need 5 pounds of rock salt per 1,000 square feet to get effective melting of a paved surface. Do the math and you'll discover that rock salt only costs $0.0008 per square foot.

How Much More Expensive is Entry than Rock Salt?

I hope you're sitting down as Entry Ice Melt is 37.5 times more expensive to use than rock salt.

How Do I Minimize Tracking Rock Salt Into my Home or Business?

It's important to realize that most people put down too much rock salt thinking more is better. It's not.

Follow these steps to minimize tracking rock salt into a structure:

• Remove as much snow as possible from the paved surfaces
  • Use small rock salt pellets instead of giant crystals
  • Broadcast the rock salt at the suggested rate of 5 pounds per 1,000 square feet

Summary
Entry Ice Melt - Expensive Alternative to Rock Salt
Article Name
Description
Entry Ice Melt is 120 times more expensive than rock salt. You can minimize tracking rock salt indoors by following these tips.
Author
Publisher Name
AsktheBuilder.com
Publisher Logo

7 Responses to Entry Ice Melt

1. Tim, your information about Ice Melt vs. rock salt is very enlightening although you probably haven't made any friends from the Ice Melt folks.
    Anyway, thanks for not being afraid to tell it like it is when it comes to helping us get the most from our money.

• Doug,

I'm not in the business of making friends. I'm in the business of sharing facts.

The benefits they list for their product may appeal to a certain percentage of the marketplace. If those people want to pay more, it's their choice.

2. I don't know what is in the spray produce but I know salt is killing our creeks, rivers, and lakes. Some smaller lakes are in danger of not supporting fish due to the high levels of salt from run off from driveways, roads, and parking lots. I always try to look for products that don't hurt the environment.

• MicKay,

I'm curious where you got the data about the effects of salt on the local water in your area. Do you have data or do you just think it's happening?

My college degree is in geology and the creeks, rivers and lakes naturally replenish themselves with fresh water with no salt in it.

What do the local fishermen have to say? They're one of the first groups I'd talk to. If the ecosystem of any of the bodies of water you think are in trouble are in decline, the fishermen are the first to notice.

• If used in excess, sodium chloride can be bad. As I said above, most people apply far too much salt to paved surfaces.

I think you mean calcium chloride. It's a great deicer.