Gutter Guard Compare

This is the best gutter guard I've ever tested. A stainless steel micro mesh prevents any pine needles or any other small debris from getting into the gutter. CLICK photo below for a great DIY alternative micro mesh gutter guard that will save you thousands of dollars. Copyright 2018 Tim Carter

Original Publish Date: September 2008 - Revised April 2018

There are countless gutter guard designs. I discovered after years of testing the ones with a fine stainless-steel micromesh are the best. There are several brands of these. Dealer-install micromesh is outrageously expensive. I suggest you purchase DIY stainless-steel ones and have your handyman install them. CLICK HERE or the PHOTO below to order some now.

Compare Features of Gutter Guards Before Buying

For over ten years I have been testing gutter guards, and at the end of this column, I tell you which one I installed on my house. Those tests have been chronicled in various columns and videos on my website. Below are two videos that feature, what I believe, perhaps the Holy Grail of gutter guards.

Related Links

Gutter Covers 101

Ice Problems with Gutter Covers

Gutter Covers

Do Gutter Guards Work?

Consider purchasing a micromesh product from Amazon.com and having your local handyman install them for you. CLICK the photo below for just one of the micromesh products I discovered on Amazon:

micromesh gutter guard

There are many micromesh gutter guard products. You can save LOTS of money putting them on yourself. CLICK HERE or THE IMAGE to see how low-cost they can be.

Free & Fast Bids

CLICK HEREĀ  to get FREE & FAST BIDS from local companies that will install gutter guards. Demand micro mesh guards!

My tests over the years determined that many products allowed small debris in the gutter. Finally, I discovered some products that had an ultra-fine micromesh screening that stopped the debris from getting into the gutter. I tested two products on the same roof under the same trees. One performed better than the other. You can see the visual proof in the videos below.

Several Months Into the Test

The video below is what my garage roof looked like after months of testing. It's very obvious that the way the gutter guard is installed makes a very big difference:

I was so impressed I selected the one that did the best and had it installed on my own home.

20 Responses to Gutter Guard Compare

1. Is the oak tree in your yard a pin oak? Mom has about a dozen pin oaks in her yard and in the spring the flowers go everywhere. Just want to know we're dealing with the same demon before I contact MasterShield. Thanks!!!

2. So which one do you recommend? Watched your video and about to undergo a removation where new gutters will be installed

3. Is the gutter guard that performed favourably in an area where prevailing winds would tend to clear debris anyway?

Did they have to rehang your existing gutters to get the front side low enough to match the roof pitch or did you have new gutters installed at the proper height and the Mastershield applied to them?
    Thanks,
    Mike

• Mike,

I had to rehang them myself. I was told by MasterShield, before their top installer showed up, that the front edge of the gutter had to be in the same plane as the roof.

The Gutter Glove product was installed by their top installer in OH and he did not require the gutter to be lowered. After these videos were posted, Gutter Glove then MODIFIED their installation instructions to match those of MasterShield - another thing in a long list of things GG copied. Heavy sigh!

5. Hi Tim,

How about handling the water flow during a heavy rain. I've seen quite a few reviews that mention water running over the edge of the gutters, but that it does a good job of keeping out the debris. I guess you can't have it both ways.

6. I would like to see what all you tested and how each performed, not just a blanket recommendation for MasterShield. Give us the actual results on each one you tested and let us make up our own mind.

7. I am looking to install a gutter shield on my gutters. I am not sure which type to get. I live in the northeast of New York. We get snow and some leaves in the helicopters from the trees. Can you help

• I tested several IDENTICAL ones just like it. It's a reverse curve and the gutter is going to get filled with GUNK AND GOO that will be nearly impossible to remove. Do NOT buy them.

8. Hello, Tim.

I appreciate your thorough testing to find which gutter guard keeps the most debris out of the gutter. My question is how well did the micro mesh allow heavy rains to enter the gutter. I have typically found that the better the gutter guard does at keeping debris out of the gutter, the worse it does at allowing rain water into the gutter.

• The micromesh PULLS water through it because of the surface tension of water. In HEAVY downpours here at my house all water flowing down the roof passes through the micromesh.