Install Copper Roof Strips

Install Copper Roof Strips

An asphalt shingle roof will last for many decades if you install copper roof strips up on the ridge and down any hips.

Tim Carter was the first person in the world to discover that copper ions washing off a copper strip prevent asphalt from oxidizing.

Oxygen that bonds to asphalt up on your roof causes the asphalt molecules to cross link. Too much cross linking causes shingles to:

• loose the colored ceramic granules
  • curl
  • delaminate
  • become brittle

Copper Strip Evidence Photo

install copper roof strips

Look at how the 8-foot-wide strip of asphalt shingles look nearly perfect. The other shingles on either side have lost their granules and are curled as can be. The copper ions washing off the cupola roof STOP the oxidation of the asphalt. When asphalt oxidizes, the molecules cross link and become brittle.

Defective Asphalt Shingle Book - Roofing Ripoff

Roofing Ripoff

This is the cover of my Roofing Ripoff book. CLICK THE IMAGE NOW TO ORDER IT.

Tim Carter published this book in 2017. The book explains why you need copper roof strips. CLICK HERE to order it.

The book highlights how asphalt shingle roofs all across the USA are failing in as little as eight years.

Decades ago asphalt shingle roofs used to last 30, or more, years.

Tim Carter sent direct questions to the asphalt shingle manufactures about these defects and none would provide answers to the pointed questions.

install copper roof strips

If you install copper strips like this on your ridge and hips the roof algae and moss will disappear if you get periodic rain.
Click here to order this product from the AsktheBuilder Store.

6 Responses to Install Copper Roof Strips

1. Tim!
    Congrats on "expanding your internet footprint"!
    In your roofing video, you mentioned you hammered the copper nails in with a short portion of the nail NOT hammered in. Do you ever hammer the nailhead flush with the copper sheet? Would you ever use a copper washer to spread the force of the nailhead over a wider area? Would a plain plastic washer work as well to spread the force?
    Thanks in advance!
    Brian Kelly

2. Tim I bought copper roll order ID #59688. The box was opened & nails out of nail box loose in main box had 60 nails (don't know how many should have) also I was charged for roofing ripoff book which I never received. (Lost out of open box ??) should have a better package.
    Roger LaValla 810-338-4469

• Roger,

I'm sorry about the banged-up box. UPS does have issues sometimes when there's a pileup on the conveyor belts.

You're missing a few nails, so they must have tumbled out.

As for the book, where did you order it? I don't see an order for the Roofing Ripoff book from you at all. I see you ordered a tiny ebook from the website and the DownLoad Files link was in your Order Confirmation email. I get a copy and I see the link.

Did you order a paperback from Amazon? If so, you need to contact them as to why you've not received it.

My house in east Tennessee was built in 2004 and has 25 year architectural shingles. Is it too late to put the copper strips up? From the ground, the roof looks good. What would you look for before deciding to add the copper strips?
    Thanks,
    Ned