Patio Door Hinge Types

patio door hinge types

Patio Door Hinge Types | This is a very odd patio door hinge. Note how it has an uneven thickness to the two hinge halves.

Patio Door Hinge Types - There are Many

Joe S. from Osage Beach, MO reached out to me about his odd patio door hinge. Here's what he wrote:

"I have an odd sized hinge that is for my patio doors.  They need replacing and since I've never seen them before I would really appreciate your help.  What are they and where in the world would I find them to purchase.

They appear to be adjustable and 3 of the 6 have failed.  One side of the hinge is half inch thick and the other side is the usual thickness.  The doors don’t close properly.  Have you ever seen these before?"

My advice to Joe was to:

• look at all surfaces on the hinge for any identification logos or printing that may shed light on who made the hinge
  • look at the edges of the patio doors and frames for identification markings as to who made the actual door
  • visit local exterior replacement door businesses taking the hinge with you. Ask for the manager or anyone who's at least 50 years old who has seen hundreds of different patio doors over their career. 

CLICK or TAP HERE to get FREE BIDS from local patio door companies to get your doors working perfectly.

What advice would you have given Joe? Add it in the comments below.

Your Takeaway: Let's say you're building your dream home and intend to live it in for decades. Perhaps you should buy some extra hinges for those doors that seem to have odd-shaped ones like Joe has so you don't find yourself in a conundrum.

6 Responses to Patio Door Hinge Types

1. I think you're on the right track with Tim's suggestions. There is also the option of asking a couple online communities such as reddit.com r/whatisthisthing and r/DIY to name a few. There are many people asking about things for the exact same reason as you are.

2. You forgot to add to put all of the 'extras' - the weird hinges, the extra bathroom and kitchen grout, the toilet guts, the manuals, etc. in a clearly marked box/tub so you can actually find it when needed.

3. When we had a like problem, we found a handyman (through one of the well known 'find a contractor' web sites. He was well rated on the site. In this case, a casement window crank. He got off the old one, pointed us in the right direction to order a replacement, and then he installed it. Worked well for us. Plus we later had him build and place a set of Ikea kitchen cabinets and later rebuild a doorway (steel frame with a broken hinge) and replace that door and 2 others. I mention all this because certain types of repairs and related work are really above the skill level of most homeowners, and finding and utilizing a good handyman can be a good choice, even while you do your own work on simpler things. Some of us MIGHT be able to find the hinge, and some even install it - but given that 3 of 6 had already broken, it makes me wonder if they were properly installed originally.

4. It looks to me like you have turned the hinge "inside-out." I can see the screw-head chamfers on the thin side. The heavy side looks like it is made to release the door with a slideable piece in the center. It would be helpful to see the mating portion of the door. The coloration on the hinge may indicate that the hinge is in a bind - continual stress during open/close is causing the finish to crack off.

5. There are a few good websites that specialize in hinges where I have found unusual types that I needed for replacements or special situations. I don't remember the names off-hand but they should be easy to find using a search-engine. The hinge shown looks like other adjustable hinges I have encountered over the years. I believe the Hurd brand of doors had some poorly made adjustable hinges a couple of decades ago; perhaps this is one of theirs.