A DIY Room Addition in 7+ Weeks?

1. Steve
    February 6, 2013

Dear Tim,I wish to build a garage and bedroom above it.This will attach in front of our 1930s bungalo.I have experience in plumbing and drain laying.I have also "run wires" for a sparky.I spent 6 years as a "dog man"driving piles here in CHCH..I know enough to feel dangerously confident...my questions are..1.Do I need a builder?
    2.If not legally I wonder of the practicality of being buried in red tape buy the powers that be.
    I do have time on my side as I will leave my job to achieve the building and I have many subbie contacts ....What do you recon mate?Regards Steve

2. Darek
    November 15, 2015

I'm a contractor with three full time workers. We build additions ranging from 200 to 2,000 sq'. We do most of the work ourselves with small exceptions like excavation, foundation and HVAC, I'm afraid I must agree with the wife. I would worry if we could complete it in seven weeks. There are so many unexpected issues coming up every day, it's easy to get overwhelmed, not to mention weather, picky inspectors and delays with deliveries. I can't imagine anyone doing such a project alone, it's just impossible. Good luck anyway. Darek

3. Juliet O’Brien
    October 6, 2016

How much can I save by being the contractor on my addition? I'd be using subs for a lot of the labor, especially the framing, roof, and trades.