Cold Air Return

1. lee simpson
    December 16, 2013

i am wondering the cold air return vent down stairs is pulling so hard that the vent is starting to howl but the up stairs cold return is pulling nothing we did the tissuie thing is there anything or linning on the inside of the duct work that could cause it to plug up the duct

2. Gary
    February 8, 2015

I recently purchased a new half duplex and have found the main room return air vent is not connected directly to the return ducting, it just goes into the floor joist. There is slab heating in the basement and the bedroom was cold with the door closed so a return vent was installed to improve circulation and again it was not connected to the duct, just a hole cut in the ceiling into the joists.
    Is a there a building code standard that I can refer to request the builder to correct.

February 11, 2015

I have no idea because the code can be modified by towns and cities. Most are lax about the exact practices of ducting. You CAN USE joist spaces as return air ducts. I've done it for years with great success. The bottoms of the joists are covered with interlocking pieces of sheet metal.

3. Dave Vadney
    February 24, 2015

You may need to just adjust the dampers on the returns going to the furnace. The description of your returns that attach to the ceiling joists is called panning which is a fast way to run a return if done correctly. The biggest problem with panning is that the contractors don't seal then correctly all the time and air may be leaking out. I have a cape cod and it's hot in the summer. I pushed more air into the 2 rooms upstairs by dedicating a supply directly to the plenum of the furnace and added returns and did the same to the return side of the plenum. It is now comfortable all year round. In the winter it gets too hot so I adjust the dampers down to almost closed and summer fully open