Dimmer Switch

1. Harry

I was curious about my dimmer problem and it led me here. While very insightful, I am now wondering if my dimmer switch problem is due to its age. It's an old dimmer attached to a chandelier with around 6 lights. It dims really dim, but suddenly it went bright on its own, like regular brightness. I went to turn it down and the switch was dimmed all the way. I tried increasing it and the lights got abnormally bright. The switch is old but not sure how old. There's a good chance it's 20 years old. Can an old dimmer switch act this way?

February 24, 2013

2. Blaise Piazza

Hello. I just replaced six hi-hat bulbs with LED inserts that provide more light. Then I also replaced the light switch/dimmer switch combo (for incandescents lights) with a similar LED switch. The problem was the new switch had an extra terminal. I placed the 2 blacks onto the 2 terminals which were side by side and grounded the green wire.
    The switch had to be inverted to be in the down position to be off; and the dimmer slide is opposite the switch. so the slide is in a down position for full power.What did I do wrong? Or did I replace a single with the wrong switch?

3. Heather moore

Tim. I'm a new mom and just paid a lot for ceiling dimmer light. so it could be a night light too. Mine is new and doing that too bright thing on its own. Should we call electrician back? He was so messy I'm dreading it. What's involved when he comes and how should I describe the issue? Thank you!

I'm not sure I understand your problem. You have a dimmer installed. You think the bulb's too bright? How about putting in a lower-wattage bulb in the light fixture?

4. Mona B
    November 10, 2014

Hi Tim - Can you use a rheostat (dimmer) when the overhead light has two light switches at opposite sides of the room? My boyfriend says "no" but I think it is because he is lazy and doesn't want to figure it out. Please solve this dispute. Thanks. Mona

November 11, 2014

The envelope is handed to Tim Carter, founder of AsktheBuilder.com, at the podium. The audience goes quiet. (Sound of paper being torn.) "And the winner of the 3-Way Switch Dimmer Debate is Mona B.! She needs to get her lazy good-for-nothing boyfriend off the couch and in front of a computer monitor to watch my 3 Way Switch video. Then he needs to get his butt to an electrical supply house to purchase two 3-way dimmers.! (Standing ovation. Tim Carter waves to audience and hugs Mona B.)

5. Amanda Boyce

I have a double light switch next to my bed that controls the main ceiling light and a wall light, the ceiling light also has a switch at the bedroom door. My question is can I replace the double switch at my bed with a double dimmer switch without replacing the main light switch at the bedroom door?

Maybe. I'd have to see it and then decide.

6. Pat Renouf
    February 10, 2015

I currently have a double rocker switch. One side controls a set of 4 lights, the other a ceiling fan. Can I have a dimmer switch with remote put on just the light side of the switch?

February 11, 2015

Possibly. Depends on if you can find a dimmer that will play well with the other switch.

7. John Janak
    March 14, 2015

I installed a dimmer light and appears it's only got two settings: as bright as it goes (when dimmer is in the highest position) and as low as it goes (when dimmer is in any position other than the highest). Please help. I've read and re-read the instructions and watched multiple DIY videos. Please help!

8. Maica
    February 5, 2016

HI! To be honest I dont know anything about electricity but would like to turn my regular night lamp into one that can be dimmed. I bought a dimmer cord set from Omni. The wire is different from the old cord because the new one has thick thread of copper. SORRY. Dont really know how to call It or what are the terms to be used. I just want to know if it would be fine if I just put the new cord with dimmer switch the way the old cord with regular on and off switch used to be attached with "that little thing where you put the bulb"?

9. chuck Lafferty
    March 2, 2016

question, getting hum from LED while dimming. switch says only 150 w for leds .have 6 recessed lights LED 65W rating. is there a dimmer made to take 6 lights . ridiculous to install 3 switches for 6 lights in small office. or do i have to remove the LED bulbs and go with halogen?

10. Bernard

I have 12 can lights on one dimmer and all have 65watt bulbs in them. The dimmer is rated for 1000 watts so should be no issue. I also have changed the light bulb to a 45watt and it still gets hot.