Expansive Soil And Foundation Cracks Video

1. Robert Wacker

Hello Tim,

I was watching your video on subsidence . Looking at the text which accompanies the video the sentence regarding "garages , room additions or if your house is built on a slab" is confusing. I would think that all modern houses are ultimately built on concrete slabs. Is that not correct?

Regards,
    Robert Wacker
    Los Angeles, CA.

Robert,

That's not correct. I visit LA frequently and know most of your housing is built on slabs. Come east of the Mississippi River, and you'll discover most houses are built on concrete foundations with basements or crawlspaces under the living area. The floor systems are wood, not concrete like you're used to.

2. Jay

Where can I buy the drill tool you are using? What is called, auger?Home Depot does not seem to carry anything similar in my area. If I don;t have that tool, any recommendation for how to dig those holes? One last question, you recommend digging these holes 2 feet away from the foundation and 2 feet away from each other, i.e. at 2 ft steps, right?