Gutter Guard Test Results

Stop - Check this out! Hi, it's me Tim Carter.
Do you want a bid on the same gutter guards I used on my home?
Click Here
If you do fill out the form at the MasterShield page, they pay me a very small commission.

Over ten years ago, I started testing gutter guards on my own home. Not only was I having issues with leaves and tree debris in the winter, spring and summer, but I was getting regular emails from people just like you about the frustration you were having. The good news is that I finally discovered a gutter guard that works. It works so well, I had it installed on my own home by professionals. I'm going to share the company with you in just a moment, because I feel you need to know the entire story. The most convincing evidence is in two videos on this page. You absolutely need to watch the two videos to see the final stages of my testing.

But I really feel you need to know how long and exhaustive the search was. I chronicled much of this is many past columns here at my website about gutter guards. I urge you to go type in these words into my search engine at the top of this page: gutter guards

In the search results, you'll discover nearly ten different columns that I wrote over the years about my experiences. On just about every one of those pages you'll discover a link to get you back here.

What you should take away from all of this is that my tests determined that over the years I discovered that gutter guard products allowed small debris to get inside the gutter. I found some that allowed you to somewhat easily clean the gunk out of the gutter, but that wasn't what you or I wanted. I wanted a product that didn't allow anything in the gutter and was almost always self-cleaning. Finally I discovered some products that had an ultra-fine micromesh screening that stopped the debris from getting into the gutter. I tested two products on the same roof under the same trees. One performed better than the other. You can see the visual proof in the videos on this page.

One of the key components, in my opinion, as to why the one micro-mesh product performed better was the fact that the manufacturer insists that the gutter guard be installed in the same plane as the roof. In many cases, this means you have to lower the gutters on the house. I did this exact thing in my test and it made all the difference. Lowering gutters is usually not a do-it-yourself project, so consider that when you are thinking about this job. Furthermore, you have to make sure that you don't break the wind seal on your existing shingles when installing the gutter guard. Professional installers know the tricks. Be sure you check the warranty on your roof to ensure you don't void it by making a mistake.

The company that I went with was MasterShield. You can click their name and go right to the site. It's a special link that tells them I sent you. Go to the MasterShield site now and fill out the form so you can get a pro out to your house just like I did. I can tell you that I'm so happy I don't have to get up on my roof again. My wife is thrilled as well. The last thing Kathy wants is to be taking care of me if I get hurt, and the last few times up on the roof I did notice that I'm not as nimble as I used to be. Master Shields' guarantee requires that their product must be installed by an authorized, certified dealer.

I took the time to explain this because you may be one of the many people out there that just want to know what products I use at my home. That makes sense because if I'm using something, I must feel it's a great product. If that's what you're thinking about these gutter guards, you're 100 percent correct.

If you do click the above link and subsequently ask the MasterShield company to give you a quote, they pay me a small referral fee for this. They do this instead of purchasing regular advertising on my website. If you have any issues with the MasterShield folks, please let me know. I'm pretty confident that you'll have nothing but praise for them if you decide to have the same gutter guards on your house that I do.

Tim Carter

Click Here

24 Responses to Gutter Guard Test Results

1. Hey Tim, you evaluation of the gutter guards was just what I was looking for. Excellent testing.
    Unfortunately MasterShield does not have installers in my area. Darn!
    S.I., NY

2. Hi Tim,
    Thank you for your valuable insights into gutter guards. What do you think of GutterDome? This product seems similar to GutterShield? Can you give me an idea of what the total cost would be to install 90ft of GutterShield? I live in Ohio. Your help is much appreciated.

Helen

• Helen, you should absolutely call me. Read this: Your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. I keep reading abut how well gutter guards keep debris out of the gutters but I also really need a product that will withstand the weight and damaging effects of heavy wet snow sliding off my metal roof! I don't have a problem with ice dams or icicles but the snow comes rushing down like a freight train!

4. Hey Tim. Like so many others - thank you for doing such throurough research into the topics you cover. I had a question about the mesh gutter covers. One quote that I've recieved uses "Versa Guard". It's fairly expensive, and from the pictures I can see on their website, the slope is both a 2-3 inches lower than the shingles, and not as steeply pitched. They also look a bit like the ones that didn't work so well on your house. Wondering if you have any thoughts on the Versa Guard product. http://www.versaguard.net/Gallery

Thanks again for all you do!

Based on your recommendation, we had MasterSheild gutter guards installed on our house about 3 years ago--120 feet at 3 different levels. We've visually inspected with binoculars on a regular basis to make sure debris didn't collect on top. However, we now have significant drip lines under all of them. This is so different from what we expected. Before I call the installer, do you have any advice?

Thank you,

Gillian Crane

6. Hello,

I live in Minnesota and would like to know how the gutterglove pro performs in climates that get a lot of snow. I am concerned about snow not melting fast enough on the mesh screen and creating ice dams. I know the company offers a heated version, but I don't want to pay extra as they can be quite expensive.
    Thanks!
    Mark

7. With such a fine mesh screen, how does MasterShield perform in a heavy downpour? Does enough water actually get into the gutter?

• Once the first rain drops fall on the mesh, the surface tension of the water combined with gravity PULLS the water through the mesh.

You have to see it to believe it. Rest assured the water doesn't flood over the mesh.

8. Hi. A little distressed here. Had a handyman put up some gutter guards two days ago, and he left a few for me to do. So I was copying what he was doing. But within one minute I thought something was wrong, so I read the label on each guard. The handyman had jimmied up all the shingles around my mothers house she build with her own hands, about three inches worth up the shingle which to me as an uneducated fool, thought yeah that would compromise and expose the roof the the weather. Now what, and now that I have reviewed your site, I know the guards for 260 dollars were a waste of money, they clip on and have a concave shape that flip on top of the shingles. I had to sit down on the roof and cry out my 60 year old eyes that my roof was damaged, and I am not that endowed financially.

• Sorry to hear about this. The mistake you made, in my opinion, was NOT doing your research first before hiring this man. Had you come to my website in your research, you would have discovered those clip on flip gutter guards are decroted pieces of crap.

9. Yep saw that, and I had already bought the guards, and this man was a friend of someone I trusted. I usually do my own work but been bed ridden for two decades and now have to rely on anyone who has mercy. Thanks anyway. I put the last of the crap pieces on the roof by myself, and I did notice they were indeed crap. Blessings

10. Hi....I'm looking to install a gutter guard on my grandparents house but need one with minimal maintenance, for obvious reasons. I've seen ur video which is very informative. I did, however, hear of, I think they are called Rhino Gutter Guard, if I spelled that correctly, but not sure how good they really are. Have u come across this type of gutter guard and If so, what do u think of it? I'm seeking all the info I can possibly get to be able to make an informed decision. Ur help will be greatly appreciated.

• Go back to the top of this page. See that STOP sign? Click the link next to it and get the gutter guard that one my test. Isn't that what you want, a proven winner?

11. Did you test LeafsOut Micro Mesh gutter guard? Some of us are looking for a more reasonably priced, but effective, gutter guard as an alternative to MasterShield. I searched for the product in your archives but didn't find it. Thank you.

12. Hi Tim, do you also endorse Klean Gutter, there is no Master Shield dealer/installer in my area. They told me this was a sister product and their website asks if I heard about from you? A google search did not find me an article where you discuss that product

• Who is "they"? Why don't you buy the DIY version of Mastershield and either install it yourself or have a handyman put it in for you? CLICK HERE and once at that page click the link next to the STOP sign at the top of the page.

13. "Drip lines on the face of the gutter are to be expected. That's dirt and diesel engine soot washing down each time it rains."

Lol, really, Diesel engine soot!!!