Hydraulic Cement

1. Stuart

This is a question thrown out there to anyone who might have an opinion. My situation is I have an artiesian well. It is approx 110 ft deep. The well is leaking around the outside of the casing and is causing a portion of my yard to revert to a swamp. I have dug around the casing. I have no idea how to stop the seepage and leaking. Appears no one in the business around me has any idea either. I am considerinf buying a few tubs of hydraulic cement from a local Lowes and dumping it in the space between the casing and the hole. I hope it will cure and plug the leak. Anyone care to give an opinion on my probability of success? Or I sure am open to a better idea.

Stuart, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

2. P One
    March 11, 2016

How does the cost of hydraulic cement compare to portland cement? Is hydraulic cement appropriate for use in a patio that will be tied to the foundation of a home? I want to use this as a foundation for a sunroom eventually, but in the interim it will get plenty of rain and moisture.

Do you know if hydraulic cement will take an acid stain similar to what portland cement takes?

3. P One
    March 11, 2016

Regarding sulfoaluminate based hydraulic cements, are these a similar formulation to what the Roman's used based on volcanic ash in the flood plains of Vesuvius? I have always read that these roman cements were extraordinarily long-lasting under water, but that they took a long time to set and gain strength. This seems to contradict your statement that today's hydraulic cements set rapidly and you must work with them for 10 to 15 minutes.

4. P One
    March 11, 2016

Final question: do you happen to know if there is any commercial cement available in USA or Europe that is using a volcanic ask to create a Roman-type hydraulic cement? I'm looking for something that would be extremely durable in a wet environment.