Urethane Caulk Benefits

1. ljk
    November 17, 2012

you didn't get into whether latex/urethane caulks are better than latex/siliconized caulks for interior trimwork. I'd like to know which is better for movement. I just read urethane = moderate movement, silicone = high movement.

I don't find a date on this article to know where it stands today.

LJK, your question require lots of typing and I have some questions for you. You should consider investing in a 15-Minute Consult with me. Look at my cart for that. Lot's to discuss. I just do short pithy answers here.

2. wayne conlee

I have an ongoing exterior house painting project. I take the open tube of caulk and stick the end in an old plastic container with water. I went on vacation did some other projects that came up and a couple months later, monitoring the water level of course, pulled the tube out, stuck it in the gun and voila! You do need to squeeze a little out that is runny, but it's only an inch or two.

3. Hunt Jarrell
    November 5, 2015

Save the cut-off tip of the caulk tube. When you are done caulking, push the tip point first into the end of the tube and then set the end of the tube against something to hold the tip in until the caulk dries, sealing the tip. I have had some caulk last months using this method, and definitely works if using the caulk within hours or even the next day.

4. Tom Wild

Can you suggest a solvent to remove or smooth the polyurethane caulk once it's cured? I used some to repair a torn front-loading washer gasket, and it works pretty well, but I get a little bit of dripping due to unevenness of the surface against the door.
    tia for a pithy answer!