Gutter Guard Test Results

gutter guards micromesh

Not all gutter guards are like this one. This is the Holy Grail of gutter guards. Copyright 2018 Tim Carter

"The gutter guard was made using a fine stainless-steel mesh that resembled a woman's pantyhose. Furthermore, the weaving of the thin threads of stainless steel was so tight nothing could get through, not even ceramic roof granules."

Gutter Guard Test Results Checklist

• Inferior gutter guards allow small debris into gutters
  • Small debris collects in gutter turning to organic muck
  • Watch gutter guard test videos below
  • Install micro-mesh guards at same slope as roof
  • CLICK HERE to Get Tim's FREE & FUNNY Newsletter!

Why Did You Test Gutter Guards?

Years ago, I started testing gutter guards on my own home. Not only was I having issues with leaves and tree debris in the winter, spring and summer, but I was getting regular emails from people just like you about the frustration you were having.

I sought out and tested just about every gutter guard I could find. Many of the brands and types are no longer made. There are many reasons for this, not the least of which is some were very poor in design.

Did you Test Home & Garden Show Displays?

My tests started at home-and-garden and national builder shows where I saw tiny working displays. In the booth would be a small roof with a gutter covered by that company's gutter guard.

While the salesman would talk to a potential customer or future dealer, I'd tear off tiny scraps of paper resembling pieces of leaves and watch them either get sucked down into the gutter or start to clog the wire-brush or similar gutter guard.

On more than one occasion the gutter guard company, once they saw what I was doing, asked me to leave and never come back. No pun intended!

Free & Fast BIDS

CLICK HERE  to get FREE & FAST BIDS from local companies that will install gutter guards. Demand micro mesh guards!

Micromesh Gutter Guard

This is the best gutter guard I've ever tested. This is my own home in central New Hampshire. A stainless steel micro mesh prevents any debris from getting into the gutter. Copyright 2017 Tim Carter ALL RIGHTS RESERVED COPYING PROHIBITED

Related Links

Gutter Covers 101

Ice Problems with Gutter Covers

Gutter Covers

Do Gutter Guards Work?

gutter guard debris

This gutter guard has been undergoing testing for ten months. So far it has done very well. Copyright 2108 Tim Carter

How Many Gutter Guards Failed the Test?

Once I started testing at my own home, I discovered just about every gutter guard failed.

They either allowed small debris into gutters and/or the actual gutter guard clogged with debris.

All of them did a great job of stopping full leaves from getting into gutters. But they couldn't stop:

• small pieces of leaves
  • small twigs
  • evergreen tree needles
  • tree bark
  • etc.

Free & Fast Bids

CLICK HERE for FREE & FAST BIDS from local companies that can install micromesh gutter guards.

Consider purchasing a micromesh product from Amazon.com and having your local handyman install them for you. CLICK the photo below for just one of the micromesh products I discovered on Amazon:

micromesh gutter guards

There are many micromesh gutter guard products. You can save LOTS of money putting them on yourself. CLICK HERE or THE IMAGE to see how low-cost they can be.

What is a Reverse Curve Gutter Guard?

A reverse curve gutter guard is one that directs water into the gutter using a curved piece of metal or plastic. The surface tension of the water causes the water to flow into the gutter while the debris floating on top of the water is supposed to go to the ground.

Many heavily advertised gutter guards have a reverse curve design.

The simple way to think about this is a waterfall. Water flows across the gutter guard and encounters a slit or some other narrow opening that is curved and bends down into the gutter.

The surface tension of the water provides the grip so the water flows into the gutter and doesn't overshoot to the ground.

Watch the following video to see an example of a reverse-curve gutter guard. It's the white plastic guard I hold in my hands. It's stained with mildew and mold from being on the roof during my testing.

Reverse Curve Gutter Guard Video

Here's a video just below I shot for the Cincinnati, OH ABC-TV affiliate, Channel 9 News. Very early in my testing, I made a video showcasing several gutter guards had already failed.

I had already discovered that with ALL OF the gutter guards I had tested up to this point, you STILL HAD TO CLEAN YOUR GUTTERS OR THE GUTTER GUARDS!

That pretty much defeats the purpose of the products because most sales literature and claims by salesmen were that you'd never have to do any gutter cleaning EVER AGAIN.

All three of the gutter guards you see in this video at the end of spring had FAILED COMPLETELY. Organic crap from my trees filled all the grooves, slots and mesh in the gutter guards.

Is Micromesh the Best Gutter Guard?

Yes, my independent testing has proven that micromesh is the best gutter guard.

I was at the national builders show one year and walked past a booth that had the unique gutter guard I had seen.

The gutter guard was made using a fine stainless-steel mesh that resembled a woman's pantyhose. Furthermore, the weaving of the thin threads of stainless steel was so tight nothing could get through, not even ceramic roof granules.

But the gutter guards allowed water to pass with no problems.

I knew instinctively these were the Holy Grail of gutter guards.

How Does a Micromesh Gutter Guard Work?

The surface tension of water pulls water through the fine stainless steel micromesh. It's simply magic.

When you first look at the micro mesh gutter guard, you think there's no way it can work. Since the mesh is so tight it seems water will flow over the mesh.

The magic is in physics. Water has surface tension and likes to grab onto things. This is why water beads up on a piece of glass.

This surface tension helps pull the water through the mesh.

I've stood on a ladder and watched the water streaming down my roof in a rainstorm and it gets swallowed by the mesh.

Even in the worst downpours, the mesh sucks the water into the gutter!

Are There Different Brands of Micromesh Gutter Guards?

There used to be just one or two micromesh gutter guards, but now there are many.

Being a syndicated newspaper columnist, I've written the Ask the Builder newspaper column since 1993. Furthermore, it wasn't hard for me to discover how many companies made this micro-mesh gutter guard.

I reached out to the two companies at the time that sold the product. Both of the companies sent their own crews to install the product.

Prior to them showing up, I cleaned the gutters on my garage making them look like new.

The two brands were:

• MasterShield
  • GutterGlove

Did the Owner of GutterGlove Sell Mastershield Product?

Yes, the owner of GutterGlove started out as a dealer for MasterShield. Advance a few years and there are numerous micro mesh gutter guards that have worked their way around the different design patents.

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE: Both of these companies sell through a dealer network. I've received numerous complaints from homeowners like you about high-pressure sales tactics, out-of-this-world estimates in the thousands of dollars, and very unprofessional salespeople coming to homes.

Because of this, I can no longer afford to tarnish my good name and reputation telling you which guard I used.  I don't want you to have a bad encounter or pay more than you have to.

I'm currently investigating other brands of stainless steel micro mesh gutter guards that you can install yourself or pay a local handyman to do for you saving you a vast amount of money.

How Did You Test the Micromesh Gutter Guard?

Here's a video I shot after the second company had stopped by to install their product. It was the perfect time to start the test because the giant maple and oak trees that overhang my garage were just starting to bud. Believe me, after years of testing I discovered that gutter guards all do a great job in the fall. It's spring when they fail.

What Happened Several Months Into the Test?

The video below is what my garage roof looked like after months of testing. It's very obvious that the way the gutter guard is installed makes a very big difference:

The one gutter guard performed better than the other. You can clearly see that.

You can't dispute the findings in the above video.

What is the Latest Update on Gutter Guards?

You may discover there are knock-off products out there. At the time I did my test, there were only two micro-mesh gutter guards available. Realize that most of the products have a design patent. It's fairly easy to defeat a design patent and this explains why you see all the competing brands in the marketplace.

Some products may have stronger utility patents. If you're like me, you don't much care about the intricacies of design or utility patents.  You don't care if one company is fighting another, or if one company stole the patents or is infringing on a patent. That's not your care or business.

All you should care about is:

• is the micromesh stainless steel
  • is the gutter guard strong enough to last for decades
  • is the design such that it will not lift or blow away

As a result, this may seem like it makes it harder to select the best micro-mesh gutter guard. Hence you just need one that seems like it's made well and is priced competitively.

Author's Notes

P.S. I've left this column open to comments. You'll discover quite a few comments below that challenge what my tests showed. In many cases below, owners of franchises of gutter guards that FAILED in my tests authored the comments. These comment authors have a dog in the fight and you just need to be aware of that.

In many cases, they may have invested tens of thousands of dollars to get the exclusive rights to the product they sell so they don't want to see their investment sour.

Whenever you see harsh comments about anything, try to look through the fog and ask yourself what their motivation is. If they're able to support their comment with cold, hard facts, then it's absolutely worthy of your attention. Most don't have any facts, simply opinions or half-truths. You know what a half-truth is, don't you? A half-truth is a WHOLE lie.

Tim Carter

Summary
Gutter Guard Test Results - Micromesh is the Winner | AsktheBuilder.com
Article Name
Description
Gutter guard test results showed clearly that the micromesh guards perform the best. Purchase the guards direct and have a handyman install them.
Author
Publisher Name
AsktheBuilder.com
Publisher Logo

71 Responses to Gutter Guard Test Results

1. Hey Tim, you evaluation of the gutter guards was just what I was looking for. Excellent testing.
    Unfortunately MasterShield does not have installers in my area. Darn!
    S.I., NY

• Have you by any chance had the opportunity to review a newcomer to the field, the only one recommended by one of our local gutter companies: One Gutter Guard

• I just went to their website. I've not tested it. I can tell you that based upon their interactive graphic it appears to install FLAT.

If you install any gutter guard FLAT, it will fail. Debris will collect on top of it.

2. Hi Tim,
    Thank you for your valuable insights into gutter guards. What do you think of GutterDome? This product seems similar to GutterShield? Can you give me an idea of what the total cost would be to install 90ft of GutterShield? I live in Ohio. Your help is much appreciated.

Helen

• Helen, you should absolutely call me. Read this: Your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. I keep reading abut how well gutter guards keep debris out of the gutters but I also really need a product that will withstand the weight and damaging effects of heavy wet snow sliding off my metal roof! I don't have a problem with ice dams or icicles but the snow comes rushing down like a freight train!

4. Hey Tim. Like so many others - thank you for doing such throurough research into the topics you cover. I had a question about the mesh gutter covers. One quote that I've recieved uses "Versa Guard". It's fairly expensive, and from the pictures I can see on their website, the slope is both a 2-3 inches lower than the shingles, and not as steeply pitched. They also look a bit like the ones that didn't work so well on your house. Wondering if you have any thoughts on the Versa Guard product. http://www.versaguard.net/Gallery

Thanks again for all you do!

Based on your recommendation, we had MasterSheild gutter guards installed on our house about 3 years ago--120 feet at 3 different levels. We've visually inspected with binoculars on a regular basis to make sure debris didn't collect on top. However, we now have significant drip lines under all of them. This is so different from what we expected. Before I call the installer, do you have any advice?

Thank you,

Gillian Crane

6. Hello,

I live in Minnesota and would like to know how the gutterglove pro performs in climates that get a lot of snow. I am concerned about snow not melting fast enough on the mesh screen and creating ice dams. I know the company offers a heated version, but I don't want to pay extra as they can be quite expensive.
    Thanks!
    Mark

7. With such a fine mesh screen, how does MasterShield perform in a heavy downpour? Does enough water actually get into the gutter?

• Once the first rain drops fall on the mesh, the surface tension of the water combined with gravity PULLS the water through the mesh.

You have to see it to believe it. Rest assured the water doesn't flood over the mesh.

8. Hi. A little distressed here. Had a handyman put up some gutter guards two days ago, and he left a few for me to do. So I was copying what he was doing. But within one minute I thought something was wrong, so I read the label on each guard. The handyman had jimmied up all the shingles around my mothers house she build with her own hands, about three inches worth up the shingle which to me as an uneducated fool, thought yeah that would compromise and expose the roof the the weather. Now what, and now that I have reviewed your site, I know the guards for 260 dollars were a waste of money, they clip on and have a concave shape that flip on top of the shingles. I had to sit down on the roof and cry out my 60 year old eyes that my roof was damaged, and I am not that endowed financially.

• Sorry to hear about this. The mistake you made, in my opinion, was NOT doing your research first before hiring this man. Had you come to my website in your research, you would have discovered those clip on flip gutter guards are decroted pieces of crap.

9. Yep saw that, and I had already bought the guards, and this man was a friend of someone I trusted. I usually do my own work but been bed ridden for two decades and now have to rely on anyone who has mercy. Thanks anyway. I put the last of the crap pieces on the roof by myself, and I did notice they were indeed crap. Blessings

10. Hi....I'm looking to install a gutter guard on my grandparents house but need one with minimal maintenance, for obvious reasons. I've seen ur video which is very informative. I did, however, hear of, I think they are called Rhino Gutter Guard, if I spelled that correctly, but not sure how good they really are. Have u come across this type of gutter guard and If so, what do u think of it? I'm seeking all the info I can possibly get to be able to make an informed decision. Ur help will be greatly appreciated.

• Go back to the above column page. Look at the photo showing a man sliding a gutter guard under gray shingles. The house has yellow siding. CLICK THAT PHOTO.

11. Did you test LeafsOut Micro Mesh gutter guard? Some of us are looking for a more reasonably priced, but effective, gutter guard as an alternative to MasterShield. I searched for the product in your archives but didn't find it. Thank you.

12. Hi Tim, do you also endorse Klean Gutter, there is no Master Shield dealer/installer in my area. They told me this was a sister product and their website asks if I heard about from you? A google search did not find me an article where you discuss that product

• Go back up to the column. Look for the photo of the man sliding the gutter guard under gray shingles. The house has yellow siding. CLICK THAT PHOTO. READ MY COMMENTS about the extremely high cost of dealer-installed gutter guards!!!!

13. "Drip lines on the face of the gutter are to be expected. That's dirt and diesel engine soot washing down each time it rains."

Lol, really, Diesel engine soot!!!

• It is most likely pollen that has decomposed and grown a little black mold. The faces of the gutter are always exposed to some rain. When it is not raining the wind is blowing around dust, pollen, and spores from all kinds of things. Unfortunately you would need to wipe the gutters down to get the dust off before it rains to keep that from happening.

14. Tim, I just found your website, wish I had seen it a few weeks ago. We just installed a Leaf Filter System gutter guard for our entire home (3 bedroom colonial with gutters on first floor near the garage and kitchen, and then on the 2nd floor near all the bedrooms. We had our first rainfall the other day and I have to say I think the system performed horribly. Water repelled right over the top of the gutters as opposed to in the gutters themselves. I walked out of the sliding door in the back of my house and was doused with water! Can anything be done from a service and repair system, or should I get my money back and go to the Master Shield system? I spent over $2K and feel it was the worst purchase I have ever made. Your thoughts and advice are very welcome here. Thanks.

• What can I say? You said it all in the first sentence of your comment. You failed to do your due diligence. You made a tuition payment to the College of Hard Knocks.

15. Concerning those stains on the face of the gutter - I would surmise that since the gutters have to be installed at the same slope as the roof (thus the front edge is lower than the roof edge), that the diesel soot and other dirt has actually washed off the roof, over the gutter guard, and then down the front edge of the gutter. I may be a small percentage, not noticible in the rain, but enough over time for the grime buildup. I have never had any dirt and stain problems with any of my gutters (which went 10 years between painting). They have no guards (I have a single-story house, so gutter cleaning is no big chore). Sounds like the gutter guards may have solved one problem (having to climb a ladder to clean out the gutters) and created another (having to climb a ladder to clean the face of the gutters).

• It is very common to get "tiger striping" on gutters even without guards. There is a product called "Gutter Magic No. 9" that was created to clean the outside of your gutters long before guards existed. As an installer, I have experienced the fact that homeonwers do not pay attention to their gutters until they have been worked on. You just didn't pay attention if you didn't see the staining because it is very very common.

16. was looking for an unbiased comparison of gutter guards but I see that you are paid a commission so concerned that this is less than a fairy valuation of all of those gutter guards available.

• Sharon,

This review is unbiased. At the time of the review and the TEST, I wasn't getting a penny from the winner. In fact, I don't get paid a penny to say what I've said in the above columns or video.

That all happened BEFORE I decided to make an affiliate deal with the clear winner.

If you think this is a biased review, then tell me what you think about the advice you get from:

real estate brokers
      mortgage brokers
      a saleswoman at any store
      magazine reviews (trust me, editorial *is* influenced by big advertisers)
      etc.

If a BETTER gutter guard comes along, I'd tell you about it and try to make the same arrangement with them for a tiny commission.

What I'm confused about is why you're upset about me getting a small amount of money for all the work I put in to be able to advise you as to the best gutter guard.

All this information at AsktheBuilder.com is for free. How am I supposed to pay my bills and invest in my company if I don't get revenue somehow?

I've got Amazon affiliate links on many pages for the BEST tools that I use. Is that wrong?

Would you rather I put an ad on this page that says:

"I tested all the gutter guards out there. I KNOW which one is the BEST and have the video footage to PROVE it.

If you want to see the video and the TEST RESULTS, you have to PAY for them. It costs you just $19.95."

Sharon, would you pay me the $19.95 or would you mumble, "Idiot, that information is free at other websites....."

Do the other websites DISCLOSE the arrangement they have and are they as TRANSPARENT as I am?

17. I just called the MasterShield company to investigate the addition of their gutter guards. While the product may work well, it is cheaper to pay someone to clean my gutters annually for 25 years (the length of their warranty) compared to installing their gutter guards. There are no options for hiring your own contractor or self installing to reduce the price. So, based on my research, this product is not cost effective.

• Really? The average gutter cleaning seems to be around $100-$200 per cleaning. Some homes may need to have that done two or more times a year. To be conservative lets say $150 x 1.5 = $225 x 25years=$5625 and that's a conservative figure for someone with large trees over their home. Now, how many times are your gutters going to be clogged with water running behind them, soaking and rotting your fascia board before the next cleaning? How many times are you going to have who knows who trampling over your old shingles? How many times are you going to wait around for the cleaners to show up? Are they insured? Have you checked with their insurance co to se if their premium's up to date? If they aren't and they fall.. Really? Cheaper?

18. We have a unique problem because our roof has a Mansard or Dutch Colonial design in the front and back and the roof shingles are practically vertical when they come in contact with the gutters (which are between the first and second floor). You state that "the manufacturer insists that the gutter guard be installed in the same plane as the roof". That is impossible. I know that the gutters would need to be lowered, but the plane will never be the same at the roof shingles. Would you still recommend using your favorite gutter "filter" under these circumstances? PS: I can send you a picture if you can't visualize what I am talking about.
    Thanks for your help.

19. Tim, I do give you a lot of credit for disclosing that you get some compensation from Masterguard. And you are absolutely correct in replying to Sharon that there is bias in all sorts of recommendations including editorials. And you are fully justified in feeling that you should be compensated for giving advice. And I agree that not taking advertisements or commissions from products that you are reviewing prior to recommending one of them helps shields you from being biased in favor of one of them (unless it is known that one company is likely to compensate those that recommend their product).

While I think it is very likely that you are sincere in stating that you are unbiased, I think it is unlikely that you remain unbiased in your promotion of Masterguard after being paid by them. And you are not likely unbiased in terms of whether to recommend no leaf guard product at all with there being no chance of remuneration.

I am considering whether to get a gutter cover and if I do, which one to get. I am concerned about how many years (months?) of filtering the fine mesh screen on Masterguard and Gutter Glove have before they fail to work as well as in your videos. The Masterguard warranty is good against the "INTERIOR of the gutter" becoming clogged; NOT the cover failing to allow water through it-instead cascading over it onto the side of the house. Your recommendation not withstanding, I am going to stick with my plan to have no cover or one based on surface tension that Consumers Reports rates as being excellent at preventing buildup.

My answer to Sharon would be to go to Consumerreports.com to get truly unbiased information. She would probably have to pay a subscription fee. It would be worth it. READ TIM CARTER'S RESPONSE TO THIS COMMENT JUST BELOW.

• Billy Bow Legs,

Are you talking about the Consumer Reports magazine that failed, for over six years, to include synthetic-resin deck sealers in their annual deck stain study?

Is it the same Consumer Reports magazine that FAILED to include MasterShield gutter guard - the product that passed my tests - in their study?

Is it the same Consumer Reports magazine who's head editor refused to answer my questions about why they overlooked the sythetic-resin deck sealers?

You give this publication far too much credit and faith my friend.

As for my *bias*, my testing and report were done BEFORE I decided to make an arrangement to capitalize on the knowledge I discovered.

It's no different from the hundreds of affiliate links I have here on my website that connect to FANTASTIC products at Amazon.com that I own and use in my own home.

If you continue to follow the advice you get from Consumer Reports, I'm afraid at some point, you're going to get burned. But what do I know?

20. Because of all your testing I too went with Mastershield and I can tell you I'm very disappointed in the product. Yes, the dripping that occurs during the rain, which we get a lot of in Vancouver, Wa. across the river from Portland, Or. get me wet every time I go out any of my 4 doors. I expected the neighbors maple leaves and seedlings to not accumulate ontop of the gutters and they did in many areas. I'm 74 and can't get up on ladders to brush them off.
    Also last week we had a snow storm that left the entire area with about 15" of snow. I'm the only one in the neighborhood who has icicle along my gutters that range from 4" to 29" and above my heat pump were the bigger ones along with about 3-4" of solid ice on top of the gutters.
    Any suggestions?

• Susie,

Several questions: Did you take photos of the installation and send them to the owner of Mastershield? It's POSSIBLE the local installer didn't put them in the same plane as the roof. That's a must.

Did you watch all the Mastershield installation videos before the workers showed up? You need to do that with *any* product to make sure the workers do the job right. You can't HOPE workers will do it right.

As for icicles, you'd have that with or without gutter guards. Read my past column about that!

http://www.askthebuilder.com/gutter-guard-systems-and-icicles/

21. Thanks for the research. I am interested in DIY installation of Mastershield but find no place on the link you supplied to purchase them. Only request for a quote to install.

• That's because Mastershield is dealer-installed. Call them up and ask for Karen. Tell her what you want. Be SURE to mention my name. It's the secret password to get what you desire.

22. Do you know anything about Alcoa Leaf Relief gutter guards? I'm getting ready to have a new roof & gutters installed & that is the brand my roofer recommends.

My choice is down to MasterShield vs Rhino Guard. I can't find a MS installer here in Metro-Detroit and MS hasn't returned my calls. Do you have any experience and opinion on Rhino Guard? Thank you
    Mariano

24. Hi Tim,

Love the videos and the effort you put in to help consumers make educated decisions. One style of gutter guard i haven't seen you discuss are the metal panel types. I've had GutterGuardian installed on my home for 2 years now and its been truly maintenance free. I live in the Southeast, it was a little pricey but since its actually working, its totally worth the investment in my opinion. Would love to hear your thoughts

• Sure. You bought a "reverse curve" gutter guard. It's going to #FAIL. These designs allow small pieces of debris into the gutter. They accumulate and transform into MUCK in the gutter. Since the gutter guard is screwed to the gutter, you can't easily squirt out the muck. This is why the micro mesh gutter guards are the only ones that work. They only allow water into the gutter.

25. Hello,
    Awesome article and great feedback and customer responses. I am currently re-doing my gutters and want to put master shield gutter guards.

My roof is a mansard roof (vertical roof) and so I am questioning if an angle of installation is even possible on this type of roof. If it isn't then is it worth the investment to install will little to no slop or should I just clean them out every year.

Thank you for you professionalism

I admire and applaud your empirical approach to this issue.

I do have some skepticism. While it looks like your choice of Masterguard does an excellent job of rebuffing debris, I wonder about its performance against rain.

As we all know--and all 4-year-olds playing in the tub know!*--water has a surface tension. I wonder if, when it is really coming down, does the water actually get *into* the gutter with that fine mesh screen? My intuition (and inner 4-year-old ) says there is a good chance that a fine scree like that will rebuff real torrential rain.

And we all know that just one torrential downpour can be a big problem. Can you discuss the performance of Masterguard during a deluge? Better yet, would you be willing to drench your roof and film it for us?

Thanks again for your very informative post. --ML Haskell

*Not trying to cut anyone down here, just trying to add a bit of humor. Cheers!

27. ML,

I can understand your skepticism. I had it as well. The inventor thought about all of this and it's actually part of his patent. The surface tension of the water combined with gravity work together. The mesh, once primed with the first drops of rain falling straight down onto the mesh, *pulls* the rest of the water through the mesh.

It's magical. I've witnessed this happening standing on a step ladder on my own deck as a storm dumped vast amounts of rain on my roof. The sheets of water flowing down my roof were sucked through the mesh. It was astonishing to watch.

28. I was so unhappy with the gutter guards and contacted the regional office in Seattle. They sent a crew down from Seattle and replaced it all at no cost to me. There is a great improvement since being installed, hopefully I will be pleased when the maple leaves and seedlings shed. If they have to be cleaned, I was told to contact the dealer in Portland (which is now under a different owner and workers to come out and clean it at no cost to me. MasterShield stands behind their guarantee.

29. I wonder if there is any chance that the side of the building you installed on could influence the test, e.g., more wind to clean off debris on one side; swirls of air that push debris into a corner, and so on?
    I've also read some comments on other sites that amount/intensity of rain makes a difference, and would mean water escapes past the screen in a direct line to the ground, or creates ice sheets or icicles. Any further research on that?
    Thanks for your good work.

30. Hi,
    Live in Austin, TX. Any MasterShield Gutter companies/installers in this area? Have always had constant prob with leaves/twigs/acorns etc collecting in gutters. Can't afford to have them cleaned as often as they need, which is always! Currently have traditional wire mesh screens. We are considering just removing the gutters completely, which I know has its own drawbacks, but would prob be better than having maintenance that is not done as often as needs to be. We are senior-citizens now & looking for best solution. Please advise. Enjoyed reading your column/posts. Thanks.

31. Tim, I live in Southeast Michigan and am thinking about getting some kind of gutter guard. (I turned 70 last year, and when it comes to climbing up on the roof to clean out gutters, well, as B.B. King used to sing, "the thrill is gone." I really appreciate all your videos and comments! Can you tell me if there are Mastershield companies or installers in my area, and if you still think that kind of technology - fine mesh at the roof angle - is still the state of the art. Thanks much.

32. I am having all sorts of Gutter Clogging problems. I have large maple trees that drop seedlings in the spring and then Helicopters all the rest of the year. They are constantly clogging my gutters. I am considering putting in overside gutters and then a gutter guard system. I have watched your videos and I know which product you suggest however I have also seen your Amazon link to a DIY solution. My question is between the two products would you suggest the DIY route or spend the additional money (i haven't gotten a quote yet) for the "real" deal?

Also is there a difference in effectiveness between oversized gutters and the standard gutter?

33. Tim, I have spent a lot of time looking for which gutter guard you found to be the best (Holy Grail). Is the top gutter guard MasterShield???

I called MasterShield, and they do not have a local provider anywhere near me. But, I could order directly, but I would have to find someone to install the guards.

• Larry,

I have Mastershield at my home. I installed it myself. I'd order their DIY product and have a local roofer install it. Please mention my name when you call Mastershield.

• Why do these companies make buying their product so difficult? I have to call and name drop Tim Carter to get a product that has been tested?

• Ben,

Simple. The companies want to PROTECT their dealer network. The dealers buy and buy and buy. Selling direct to a homeowner is a one-off transaction. I feel the companies are making a HUGE mistake and they should sell direct. But what do I know? I used to eat lunch sitting on overturned drywall buckets for 20+ years....

Love your advice but please leave politics out of it. You note that the stock market has gone up about 50% since Trump was elected about 2 years ago. You failed to note that the market tripled during the Obama Admin.

• Jack,

Boy, I'm confused! I don't see above at all where I talked about politics. I was just giving up-to-date information to support my calculations.

I do know that you need to brush up on your math and make sure you do apples to apples comparisons though!

When President Obama entered the office, the Dow was about 7.949. Days before the 2016 Presidential election, the Dow was just over 18,000.

While Obama was in office the Dow rose about 10,100 points. It took eight years for the Dow to go up that much. It increased by a factor of 2.26, not 3. That's a huge difference my friend.

The day after the 2016 Presidential election, the market jumped and climbed not because of anything Obama did, but because of renewed optimism about where the country was headed with Trump at the helm. The Internet is littered with story after story confirming that fact.

It turns out those investing in the market continue to believe in Trump and are excited about all the things he's done.

The Dow closed today (August 31, 2018) at 25,965 and it's only been 22 months since he was elected. The market has risen just under 8,000 points in that 22 months.

If you want to make a side-by-side comparison of Obama and Trump, you'll need to wait until November 2, 2020.

But if things keep going the direction they're headed now, the Dow could be at just under 50,000 in the eight years of the Trump legacy.

If that happens, the Dow would have gone up about 32,000 points to Obama's 10,100.

Feel free to get out a pencil and paper to confirm these rough calculations.

35. I bought Gutterglove from Home Depot (special order) to put on the roof over my deck. I fully expect to have to brush off the debris as the roof is fairly flat. In fact, they even came with a coupon code to get a free brush. They are micro mesh and seem to filter OK.

36. I installed the micro-mesh gutter guard several years ago in the fall and was very pleased with it. Then came spring along with the pollen. I lived in east Tennessee with lots of pine trees. The pollen plugged the Stainless steel mesh and caused the water to run off the guard. I had to use a scrub brush to remove the pollen and allow the gutter guard to perform properly. Just passing along another learning experience.

37. I am looking for a system and wondered if you know anything about Leaf Filter. They use a micromesh filter at a 11 degree angle.