Paint Beadboard Ceiling

paint beadboard ceiling

Paint beadboard ceiling | This ceiling needs new paint, but the old needs to come off first - or at least all the old loose paint.

Paint Beadboard Ceiling

The recessed grooves in beadboard make painting it a not-so-fun project. Painting overhead is also problematic because the paint wants to fall in your face and on your arms. Bill, who lives in Cincinnati, Ohio, asked me to create this column.

What are the First Steps to Paint Beadboard Ceiling?

The first step is to scrape off all loose paint. Paint is nothing more than colored glue. Please read my past column about Adhesive Chain to understand why it's so important to get rid of every piece of loose paint.

CLICK or TAP HERE to get FREE BIDS from local painters if you don't want to paint your beadboard.

Should I Clean the Beadboard?

Yes, you need to clean the beadboard ceiling before painting it. Remember, paint is just glue with color and it sticks best to perfectly clean surfaces.

What Would You Use to Clean the Beadboard?

I've had the best results cleaning exterior painted surfaces using certified organic Stain Solver oxygen bleach mixed with a little bit of liquid dish soap. CLICK or TAP HERE to discover how to mix up the Stain Solver.

Oxygen Bleach

Stain Solver is MADE in the USA with USA ingredients that are food-grade quality. CLICK THE IMAGE to order some NOW.

Should I Use a Pressure Washer to Clean the Beadboard?

No. A pressure washer can damage the soft spring wood of the beadboard. It also can drive water deep between the grooves and get the beadboard wet on the backside causing more paint to peel.

Watch this video about how pressure washers damage wood decks and railings. The machine WILL DAMAGE your beadboard if you get the wand too close to the wood:

What is the Best Paint to Use?

The best paint you can use is one that has a urethane resin or glue component. Urethane is extremely sticky. Here's a great urethane paint. It's so durable it's meant to be walked on! It's urethane porch paint!

urethane porch paint

Here's a great urethane-fortified paint. That's why on the label it says it's for porches and floors! It's tough enough to walk on! CLICK THE IMAGE NOW TO ORDER IT.

6 Responses to Paint Beadboard Ceiling

1. The first thing I would do is to check the existing paint for lead. All that alligatoring is almost always a sure sign of lead paint. Lead is a dangerous poison and inhaling the dust from removal can poison your blood and your family’s blood. If you are doing it your self be careful and follow the lead paint removal rules, ( http://www.EPA.gov/lead ) check out the links on the right side of the home page. If you decide to hire a professional be sure they are RRP lead certified if the home was built before 1978.

2. Tony beat me to it, but I was thinking the same thing. You can purchase 3M Lead Check Swabs test vials at most hardware and paint stores; just be sure to read and follow the product instructions completely so that you understand the limits of the test.

3. I would explore sandblasting , install new on top of existing, depending on condition and area / size might tear out & start over

4. I replaced one of these some years ago in about mid March. I had decided to clear finish it, but before sealing within three days green mould had formed on the timber, and I was never able to get rid of it.

• Also need to check for a source of moisture from above. Next try to provide a vent source to rid the area above the porch roof of stagnant moist air (1" wide linear vents worked well for me on a carport ceiling

5. Couldn’t quite tell how many coats are on it currently. But extreme case would call for Gel Stripper (PPE warning of course) tarp the deck boards, roll on (zip strip) as I call the Gell Stripper. Stripping it with gel is only if getting fit down to bare wood.
    One time saber in floors and ceilings is to us a power drywall sander and Vac to prep large areas.
    Prime and top coat suggestions are not my game, but your an Ohioan so Immsure that Select product you mentioned works wonders. Anyway, thought I’d mention the gel strip and 9” Orbital pole sander as possible time savers. Oh and Stain Solver.