How to Repair Wood Rot

How to Repair Wood Rot Video

Repair wood rot is what your significant other asks you to do. But you don't know the best way.

To put it differently, you don't know what's product to use and what will last.

Repair Wood Rot Using Epoxy & Hardener

The first thing to remember is you need to use a material that's not going to fail again. Wood epoxy should be your go-to choice. You should use the liquid wood hardener before mixing up the epoxy.

PC Woody epoxy

This is the milky liquid you brush onto the rotted wood. Allow it to harden for 24 hours before using the PC Woody epoxy. CLICK THE BOTTLE to have this delivered to your home in days.

I've had the best luck so far with a product called PC Woody.

PC Woody Epoxy

This is PC Woody. It's a fantastic two-part epoxy that's very sticky. It's easy to sand once hard. CLICK THE PHOTO NOW to have it delivered to your door.

This epoxy is two distinct colors. You mix it using a putty knife until the color is consistent. I prefer to mix it on a piece of sturdy cardboard.

Related Links

Wood Repair Tips - Rotted Wood Sucks

Treated Lumber Rots Too - Crazy Photos!

Free & Fast Bids

CLICK HERE to get FREE & FAST BIDS from local handymen who can install the PC Woody for you.

Use Hardener First

Wood rot attacks the cells of wood. Severe wood rot creates a stringy mess. You can stiffen this summer wood that remains by saturating the remaining wood with a liquid hardener. The people that make PC Woody make PC Petrifier that does a great job.

The hardener is a milky liquid that dries clear. It usually takes 24 hours to dry, then you can apply the PC Woody.

Sandable, Stainable & Paintable

Another key point is the wood epoxy can be sanded smooth. You can paint or stain the epoxy and the repair should be invisible.

The first thing to remember is the epoxy needs to be hard before you start to sand it. It's best to wait at least 48 hours before you sand it.

9 Responses to How to Repair Wood Rot

• I have used both Minwax two part wood filler and Bondo two part body filler to fill wood. Both seem to have the "microbeads" that allow for easier sanding. The Bondo is best if the surface is to be painted and is generally less expensive to buy. The wood color in the Minwax version is better is you are trying to maintain a natural look. I have recently been having difficulty finding Minwax's wood hardener so I am glad to find there might be another product that will serve. Thanks for the info!

1. Does the rotten wood have to be dry before using the Petrifier? Does the soft rotted wood need to be removed back to a more solid surface? If so, how high can the epoxy be built up & do you need to let layers dry before adding more? I have a 75 y/o wooden threshold that is rotting in spots & Don't want to replace the whole thing if possible.

• Just read the label on PC Petrifier. Remember, never ever TRUST advice from anyone OTHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER about how to install their product.

The epoxy can be built up pretty high! Go up above and order some and play with it BEFORE you put it on the threshold.

2. Thanks for this info, Tim. We've had a slow leak in our shower which has rotted the bottom 4" of the door frame. The fault was repaired and, now that the woodwork has completely dried, I will be able to patch the damaged area. Your videos are so easy to follow. Best wishes, Carolyn, Sydney, Australia

3. Hello Tim! I am a long-time subscriber to your newsletters and really enjoy the knowledge you put out there for everyone...especially me.

Just wanted you to know that I totally agree with your comment about reading the instructions and following the directions. I work in a small-type hardware store and I am amazed that people bring items back that they claim 'don't work'. The first question I ask is always the same...Did you read the instructions? Of course, the answer is no.

I guess I'm old-fashioned. I always thought that was the first thing you did with any new 'toy'. And I also thought that men automatically knew a lot about tools, cars, wiring, fixing, plumbing and general stuff. You don't know how often men come into the store and ask me how something works, or how to change out a part on something that I thought was common knowledge among men. (for example, the crazy numbering system on extension cords using gauge and amp and length. That's always been hard for me to remember.)

Thank you for helping me stay independent and up-to-date. You da man!!

franne