Wood Sheds

wood shed

This Victorian outdoor storage shed was built over a period of weeks. It matches the primary home on the lot exactly in design and color, and adds tremendous overall value to the property. ©2017 Tim Carter

Wood Sheds TIPS

• Stop and plan - most sheds are too small
  • Wood sheds can add value if they match house style
  • Be sure floor joists and flooring are treated lumber
  • Create a good overhang to prevent siding rot
  • CLICK HERE to Get Tim's FREE & FUNNY Newsletter

Related Links

Storage Shed Secrets Revealed

How to Build a Simple DIY Shed

Wood sheds are perhaps the easiest and most economical outdoor shed you can build. Wood storage sheds are also popular because you can use different styles of wood siding and textures to create a wide variety of looks.

It is not hard to make a shed from wood look Colonial, Rustic, Contemporary, Victorian, etc.

Deluxe Two-Story Wood Shed Plans

This is a page showing a cross section of my own two-story shed. There are 17 pages to the set of plans!! CLICK THE IMAGE NOW TO BUY THEM. INSTANT DOWNLOAD

Free & Fast Bids

CLICK HERE to get FREE & FAST BIDS from local contractors who build sheds.

Pre-Built Sheds Can Be Poorly Constructed

You will often see in the parking lot at a home center a line of ready-built wood storage sheds. Most of these are kits that are delivered to your home on a trailer.

It's important to realize you can assemble them or have a contractor do it for you. In my experience, these ready-built sheds are at the low end of the quality scale. If you are looking to build a shed in your yard that you want to last, you may want to avoid these products.

wood sheds

This is a wood shed that has a handy 6-foot-wide overhead door. You can pull in a garden tractor with ease. Wind can cause swinging doors to slam shut. An overhead door seals better against the weather. Copyright 2017 Tim Carter

Shed Pictures Can be Glamorous

Wood prefab storage sheds are sometimes like the kits. They look good in pictures, but before you buy one, make sure it is practical.

A point often overlooked is you may see the sizes on a piece of paper or a plan and think it will work for your needs. You may even walk into a model and think it is spacious, but once you begin to store your things you realize you paid for a shed that is grossly undersized.

Easy Shed Space Planning Video

Water is Your Enemy

The first thing to remember is to pay attention to the different types of wood you might be using. Make the right choices and you can have a shed that can easily last hundreds of years if it is cared for.

Many wood sheds are designed to lay on the ground. Some are even advertised as ground contact where the shed is meant to be in direct contact with the soil. If the right lumber is not used, wood rot can happen in a short amount of time.

Treated Lumber Floor Joists and Plywood

A wood shed can have a wood-floor system that will last for decades. My own shed is built this way.

Another key point is you would have thought I was building an elevated deck in a corner of my lot if you would have seen my shed under construction. I used treated-wood posts that were approved for burial in the soil as the legs that support my wood shed.

wood sheds

This wood-floor system will last for years. Treated-wood posts, rated for burial, were used as the legs. PHOTO CREDIT: Tim Carter

Treated-lumber joists were then attached to the posts just as you would to create a deck. These joists were covered with treated plywood so that if my shed floor got wet from equipment, there would be no rot.

BEWARE Wood Rot From Beneath

This treated wood floor will not rot from the underside as water vapor from the soil saturates the shed floor. Regular plywood used for shed floors is a mistake. Make sure your wood shed has a treated-plywood floor.

All of the lumber used to build the rest of my wood shed was not treated wood. Well, I did use treated-lumber bottom plates for the walls just in case any water came into the shed from equipment I was storing.

Shed Wall Construction

wood sheds

This large storage shed under construction has a treated wood floor system. It's just one possible option The wall sheathing is oriented strand board. ©2017 Tim Carter

The wall sheathing in wood sheds can be foam, oriented-strand board (OSB), plywood or a combination of these materials. On top of this you nail your finished wood. This can be textured plywoods like the traditional T1-11, lap wood siding, or engineered-wood sheet products that simulate stucco or some other texture. You will be amazed at the variety of wood products you can choose from to finish the exterior of your wood shed.

REMINDER: STOP and Plan for the Right Size

Perhaps the most important decision you must make when it comes to your wood shed is not the style, color or amenities - it is the size. The most common complaint I hear from people after they spend all of the time, money and effort is they wish they had built a bigger shed.

Please go up and watch the planning video above. It only takes a few minutes to figure out the size your shed needs to be.

It is easy to get the size right the first time. All you have to do is drag all of the things you want to put in the shed out onto your lawn where the shed will be.

Arrange the things in such a way that you can get to each item without having to move anything else. Try to organize the things in a square or rectangle.

Measure this outer boundary around all of the possessions and you have the outer walls of your new shed! My guess is you will discover that you need one about 10 feet wide by 14 or 16 feet long.